• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I am a current undergrad senior wanting to break into quant. Help!! Am I too late?

Hi! I am currently a senior in college studying Mathematics and strongly want to break into quant. I did an equity research internship this past summer for an asset manager in NYC. This experience made me realize I love how options and futures contracts work and how/why they are traded. I want to become a trader but I am having no luck at the moment after applying to several firms and getting denied. Do I 1) keep trying to get a trading job on the buy side (which is very hard); 2) get a finance job similar to what I did this past summer (investment research in the equity and commodity space); or 3) get an MFE/Financial Mathematics degree. I have taken more than enough of the classes required for pretty much all of the programs. What do I do? I would love some help and insight. Thank you!

I'd talk to students at top programs, and/or directors if you can find a way to get in contact. If your application seems promising then apply and if you get into a top program you can attend and use that to launch your career.

Or, if you get a good job, take the job for a year and then apply. I would not continue to put all your hopes on landing a buyside trading job.

Back