• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I am facing an unexpected problem with the math classes I need to take

roni

Cornell FE
I wanted to have taken these classes by the beginning of the MFE program:

1) MTH 2610- Cal I
MTH 3010 Cal II
2) MTH 3020 Multivariable Cal
3) MTH 4120 Introduction to Probability
4) MTH 3300 - basic programming in C++
5) MTH 4310- Numerical Analysis
6) MTH 4320- Fundamental Algorithms
7) MTH 4100- Linear Algebra
8) MTH 4110 ODEs
9) MTH 4500 Financial Math
10) MTH 4130 Mathematical Statistics
11) MTH 4125 Stochastic Processes
12) MTH 4135 Monte Carlo Simulation
13) MTH 4145 Mathematical Modeling
14) MTH 5100 PDEs

However, since I am a non US resident, I have to complete my degree by Aug 2010. I planed on extending the program, but didn't get the permission. What I can do is find a job and take the extra classes while I'm on the OPT. This doesn't look like something I want to do, because I want to start the MFE program in Fall 2010 or Spring 2010 (depends on the school).

Now, my question is this, will taking the following classes make me a decent applicant for the best MFE programs ?:

MTH 2610- Cal I
MTH 3010 Cal II
MTH 3020 Multivariable Cal
MTH 4120 Introduction to Probability
MTH 3300 - basic programming in C++
( I don't know if I should drop MTH 3300, because I know some C++ and some of the classes require "knowledge of programming". How advanced should my programming be ? what does "knowledge" mean ? I've been reading a C++ book, went half way through "C++ How to Program, Fifth Edition")

MTH 4310- Numerical Analysis
MTH 4100- Linear Algebra
MTH 4110 ODEs
MTH 4130 Mathematical Statistics
MTH 4125 Stochastic Processes
MTH 4135 Monte Carlo Simulation

Also, if the time allows, I want to take one of the following:
MTH 4500 Financial Math
MTH 4320- Fundamental Algorithms
MTH 4145 Mathematical Modeling
MTH 5100 PDEs
(Which one do you think will serve me best? OR should I even bother taking one of these classes)

I wish I could take all of these classes, but I don't know if I'll be able to. One thing I can do is find a short term (probably unpaid) internship and that will allow me take 2-3 more math classes.

My profile:
School: Baruch College
Major: BBA Finance and Investments
Minor: Mathematics
Overall GPA: 3.9/4.0
Major GPA : 4.0/4.0
Expected Graduation date: Aug 2010
GRE : haven't taken yet but will definitely ace the quant part
Schools I am going to apply to : Baruch, Berkeley, Columbia,Princeton and maybe Carnegie Mellon

Why don't you graduate in Aug 2010 and come back as a "non-degree student." Although if you want to start MFE in the Fall, how could you extend graduation anyway? Lastly, I would check if any of these programs accept Spring applicants.

What have you taken so far?

So you want to take all those classes within a span of a year? Keep in mind that some may not be offered during a particular semester. I don't know what the class offerings are, but I had the following classes prior to entering the MFE program at Baruch:

1) MTH 2610- Cal I
MTH 3010 Cal II
8) MTH 4110 ODEs
mth 4210 - abstract algebra
mth 4010 - adv calc

Why don't you graduate in Aug 2010 and come back as a "non-degree student." Although if you want to start MFE in the Fall, how could you extend graduation anyway? Lastly, I would check if any of these programs accept Spring applicants.

What have you taken so far?

As a non-degree I'll need to pay almost twice as much per credit. Also, I'll need to find a part rime job/internship... Will it be worth it?

Also, I thought that since I can't extend the undergrad program to dec 2010, I would skip the extra classes and will go straight to the MFE program

and I think UCB accepts spring applicants but will need to find this out...

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

So you want to take all those classes within a span of a year? Keep in mind that some may not be offered during a particular semester. I don't know what the class offerings are, but I had the following classes prior to entering the MFE program at Baruch:

1) MTH 2610- Cal I
MTH 3010 Cal II
8) MTH 4110 ODEs
mth 4210 - abstract algebra
mth 4010 - adv calc

I'm planning to take these classes at the different CUNY campuses, mainly Baruch and The City College. I've taken Cal I and Cal II... Taking4120 and3020 in fall 2009 and am trying to get into 3300 or 4100...

The classes I want to take are offered every semester at one of the CUNY campuses, so I don't there's gonna be a prob taking them. Perhaps 2-3 classes are offered infrequently( the ones that I don't know if I should take)

are 3300 and 4320 a must in ur opinion? I want to drop 3300 because I know some c++ and I'm reading a c++ book. But without 3300, I want be able to take 4320...

And what do u think about my list in general? Should I drop any classes? Take any other?

Sorry for the mess but I'm typing from my iPhone :)

The list of classes is fine for a 2 year plan, but fitting 12 math courses in 1 year is going to be hard.

I suggest you take mth4500, it's basically a small preview of MFE topics. mth5100 hasn't been offered in the last 5 years.

You need to show knowledge of c++ when applying to an MFE. This is done either by having work experience as a developer or taking classes. Baruch only requires 1 c++ course, but I found 4320 useful to get a better understanding of comp-sci topics.

The list of classes is fine for a 2 year plan, but fitting 12 math courses in 1 year is going to be hard.

I suggest you take mth4500, it's basically a small preview of MFE topics. mth5100 hasn't been offered in the last 5 years.

You need to show knowledge of c++ when applying to an MFE. This is done either by having work experience as a developer or taking classes. Baruch only requires 1 c++ course, but I found 4320 useful to get a better understanding of comp-sci topics.

A few things:
1) hard is a word I'm not familiar with ;)

2) PDEs is offered in the City college almost every semester, so I can take it there. However, I don't know if I should do it.

3) 4500 looks interesting but I think 4135( Monte Carlo simulations) will give me a better background a out the mfe. It's more of a programming class than 4500. Or I'm wrong?

4) as far as the programming classes are concerned, I can learn whatever is done in 3300 and
4320 by reading books, can't I? So ok, I can take 3300 just for the records( even though it will be a waste of time). I also want to take numerical analysis and Monte Carlo classes which are programming classes...

Ur thoughts?

Back