• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I got an interview with the help of a 3rd party recruiter

Hi. I am a graduating senior. I found a full-time opportunity on a 3rd party recruiter website and felt that I am a good fit for the opportunity. So I reached out to the recruiter and had the first-round onsite interview with the firm on Wednesday.

Before the interview began, the HR told me that they will invite a few more candidates that week and the last candidate will come on Friday. She said she will reach out to me next Monday or Tuesday with regard to the final round interview.

The interview was difficult because they gave me some technical/case questions that I was struggling. So I thought I did badly and had a little chance of getting the final round interview. And after the interview, the recruiter reached out to me and asked how the interview was and we had a short conversation. Surprisingly, the HR reached out to me yesterday (Friday) evening and said they want to invite me for the final round interview.

I have like a week until the final round interview and want to be prepared as much as I can. I am wondering if there’s another candidate for the position. I do not want to ask this to HR outright.. Instead, I want to talk to the recruiter and say “I really appreciate your help. I was able to get the interview with your help. Do you know if there’s still another candidate?” Would that be a bad question to ask to the recruiter?

You should feel free to ask the recruiter if there are still other candidates.

Also - recruiters are not your friend. Their only interest is to place you so that they get their commission and they're going to pressure you very hard to accept an offer even if it is a low salary or otherwise uncompetitive. Be mindful of this as you go into the final round and eventually get an offer

You should feel free to ask the recruiter if there are still other candidates.

Also - recruiters are not your friend. Their only interest is to place you so that they get their commission and they're going to pressure you very hard to accept an offer even if it is a low salary or otherwise uncompetitive. Be mindful of this as you go into the final round and eventually get an offer

That kinda makes sense. I know that the recruiter and I are not friends haha. What would be possible consequences if I do not accept the offer?

That kinda makes sense. I know that the recruiter and I are not friends haha. What would be possible consequences if I do not accept the offer?

Lots of calls / voicemails / emails from the recruiter telling you they are disappointed and you should not have done that and you should have accepted. High-pressure sales tactics. Do NOT give in!

Back