• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I got into a rank ~10 financial engineering program. Is the loan worth it?

The overall MS program cost is ~50,000, and let's tack on ~25,000 for living expenses. So that's the loan I'll have to take out to afford this shit.

Is a rank ~10 worth it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No, but seriously, can I have like some advice from pros here. I really don't know what to do. Can a rank ~10 find a good enough job to pay this shit back?

~10... columbia mafn? mit? nyu tandon? uchicago? i personally would take that much loan for columbia mafn and mit. maybe uchicago if i'm desperate. i wouldn't do it for other schools whose placements are average and i don't have the brand name to fall back on.

~10... columbia mafn? mit? nyu tandon? uchicago? i personally would take that much loan for columbia mafn and mit. maybe uchicago if i'm desperate. i wouldn't do it for other schools whose placements are average and i don't have the brand name to fall back on.
What do you know about the mafn program. I’ve seen some people there who get good jobs but since you went to Columbia can you give a comparison between mafn and msor

It's UChicago. I have some money I can put towards it, so it's not as expensive as it would be, but it's still not cheap.

How about UW CFRM? Rutgers FinMath? CFRM is super cheap, relatively at least. 41K + maybe 20K for misc expenses.

I got into a CompSci PhD program, which is funded and may as well be free, but I really don't want to do a PhD. 😅 Not entirely sure why I applied.

Uchicago seems to ask far more than what you wrote, maybe $80k+?Anyway, I vote for the phd program, no one in the hedge fund or prop shop or whatever buyside like wants to hire an mfe instead of a computer science phd, if such companies are your job targets. As for sellside, well uchicago is better than phd in cs I think.

Back