• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I would like to transition myself to become a Quant developer, any advice?

Hello There,

Thank you for reading my post!

I'm an experienced c# developer with 12+ years of experience in multiple domains and I'm open to learning new languages or tech!

Lately, I got to know about the Quant positions while I was working in the finance domain and I have a huge interest in becoming a quant developer, I will appreciate it if I can get advice on how I can start my journey to becoming a Quant developer.

"quant developer" is typically used for a developer working on some aspects of a trading / pricing / risk-management system. It usually doesn't involve algorithm development / research itself. As such it doesn't really require any special quantitative skills though being comfortable reading algorithm documentation is very useful. I work for a trading firm and our hiring process for quant developers is very similar to what you would find at any tech company. This is also a warning not to have unrealistic expectations as to what kind of problems you will be working on. An interest in markets is a plus but no particular knowledge is required. Regarding C++ / Python mentioned above - this really depends on what the company is using. Lots of trading firms are using Java or C# in the parts that are not super latency sensitive and Python mostly for analysis.

Last edited:
There are various roles broadly classified as Quant Devs. To name few:
1. Quant Devs in trading strategy development (or similar to low-latency or trading algo devs). Predominantly concentrate on tech skills (most firms use C++ for this)
2. Desk Quant Devs: Build simple quant analytics tools for trading desk (to help on daily trading analytics/automation). Need a tech+domain skills (most firms use C# or python or F# or OCaml)
3. Risk Quant Devs: Risk modelling/aggregation/downstream integrations with risk. Mainly tech (but good to have domain skills) expectation. (Many firms use Java)
4. Quant Devs in pricing: Mostly for structured products. Solid math and tech skills are expected here (mostly C++ heavy)

But these days, all these roles might be using Python in someway (like for data analytics, process automation, back testing, scenario analysis, ML etc)
Since 1 & 4 emphasis more on speed, mostly use C++ as their language.

NOTE: There are still many roles which are called as "Quant Devs", which I haven't mentioned here.

Back