• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Imperial College Math Finance or Warwick Financial Math

Hi!

I´ve got offers for the MSc in Financial Mathematics at Warwick and the MSc in Mathematical Finance at Imperial College. I don´t really know all that much about either one of them except that Imperial College is ranked higher on world university rankings. It seems to me that both of these schools are very good but I´d love to hear some other opinions about them.

Thank you for your help.

Hi;) I got in Warwick MSc Fin Math and applied to IC Risk Management and Fin Eng so I did research the schools as well. My oppinion is: if money is not an issue go to Imperial. Warwick is a really nice place. The program is definitely top3/4 in the UK. The school is top 3/4 in UK when it comes to accounting/finance. They have one of the best placement statistics. Overall it is one of the best places to study in the UK. This is of course only my oppinion. However, I believe you will benefit more from the program at IC. The mathematics department at IC is one of the most respected ones (again this is only my research). But IC gives you a prestige that Warwick doesn't. Plus with Imperial you have the advantage of being in London and it should be easier to make connections in the London "city". I think you cannot go wrong with either of the programs but still I would go to Imperial. ;) Good Luck.

Hi;) I got in Warwick MSc Fin Math and applied to IC Risk Management and Fin Eng so I did research the schools as well. My oppinion is: if money is not an issue go to Imperial. Warwick is a really nice place. The program is definitely top3/4 in the UK. The school is top 3/4 in UK when it comes to accounting/finance. They have one of the best placement statistics. Overall it is one of the best places to study in the UK. This is of course only my oppinion. However, I believe you will benefit more from the program at IC. The mathematics department at IC is one of the most respected ones (again this is only my research). But IC gives you a prestige that Warwick doesn't. Plus with Imperial you have the advantage of being in London and it should be easier to make connections in the London "city". I think you cannot go wrong with either of the programs but still I would go to Imperial. ;) Good Luck.

Hi =)

How would you reason if you were awared a substantial scholarship at one school but not the other?

Well I personally got 10 000 pounds as a scholarship from Warwick. Still if money is not an issue I would go for Imperial ;) If it is then Warwick of course. Check out Barclays loans, they grant up to 10 000 for student loans. Good Luck ;)

I second adt's response. Warwick is a great school but Imperial has better branding and the advantage of being in London where most of the jobs are.

Would you say that Imperials advantage over Warwick is worth a £10,000 scholarship even?

Thank you.

Again as adt pointed out it depends on your money situation. Personally, I think credit is a suckers game and am risk averse (to a fault sometimes) so I would take the scholarship and go to Warwick in this case. I would have a different experience and possibly lose out on some opportunities.

Other relevant info in my mind is: are you a UK/EU citizen? (not in need of a visa) and what kind of job/internship experience do you have? A candidate that won't need visa support and has a great finance internship on their cv will be able to go to Warwick and still end up with a good job, where a weaker candidate may not.

Need Dominic to weigh in on this really, he is much more familiar with the UK market....

Would you say that Imperials advantage over Warwick is worth a £10,000 scholarship even?

Imperial has the "brand name" and the advantage of being in London. Personally I'm not sure how strong the Imperial program is. Warwick is possibly/probably the stronger math department (don't know about now but the pecking order used to be Cambridge - Warwick - Oxford).

I am a EU citizen, so I won´t need visa support. I am currently an undergraduate student with no job/internship experience.
My age is 25.

Back