• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Importance of GPA for applicants with good work experience

Hello everybody.
I graduated with a Bach in Elect Eng 10 years ago with a low GPA (but top grades in programming). Since then, I worked for 4 years in programming (C++/Java), got an MBA (top 20 school, GPA 3.5, A on all Finance and Prob/Stat courses) and worked in investment banking bulge bracket in NY (Corp fin advisory (mainly ECM and M&A), for 2 years) and private equity in the Middle-East (2 years).
I am considering applying for MSFE, 2011 class.
Would the top schools disregard or put less weight on my undergrad GPA given my experience? Would the MBA gpa weight more?
Thank you.

I am curious why you want to do a MFE. It seems like you have great work experience and would be able to get a job somewhere.

Generally they look at your most recent GPA so for you that would mean your MBA. But a MFE is very math intensive and since you have not taken any math in a long time and when you did you did poorly, this would not work in your favor.

I think you could probably get into some program somewhere but I don't think your experience is enough to get you into a top program on its own. I think the best thing to do to strengthen your chances would be to take some courses in math and programming (more math though).

Connor,
Thank you for your reply.
I want to get an MFE to be able to use my programming experience and Finance one at the same time (as I currently only use the finance one).
Plus, I have been trading (personal account) for 10 years now and would love to make a career as a quant trader/developer.
I don't think I need any programming courses. I am very comfortable with my programming skills. I have written security software (encryption, hashing,...) for 2 years on Linux and MS working in the US. I am also comfortable with my Finance skills and experience. I just need to bridge them and work on my Math skills.
I am assuming an 800 on Quan GRE is the minimum (that's what I got when I applied last, but the scores are not valid anymore).
What can I do to improve my chances to start the programs next year? I can take Math classes, but the earliest would be spring which means I won't have the grades when I apply. Maybe I can mention that I am planning on taking the courses as a preparation for the program.
Just to be clear, I did not fail or repeat any Math course. I just got anywhere from C to B in those courses.
Wouldn't my experience (programming and Finance) + hopefully the recommendations over compensate for that given that it was 10 years ago?
Some people are accepted into those programs with little to no Math prereq bec their financial experience is good. At least, that is what I read on the programs sites.
Thank you.

Another waste of time and $$, and it just doesn't make any sense in general.

My opinion is that it's a wrong path to take. If you like programming, do it on your spare time.

Your profile seems to be ideal for CMU (high programming experience) and UC-Berkeley (Finance work experience). These programs are based in the Business schools. You will probably not have much success if you apply to the MFE programs which are based in the Math departments. However, with MFE from UC-Berkeley or CMU you end up earning nearly twice as much and have much better career progression as compared to the other MFEs. They have got a super-strong alumni network on Wall Street which will help you throughout your career an prevent you from becoming a low-paid code monkey.

Thank you TraderJoe. Somebody gave me some hope here.
I guess I can also apply to the universities that offer pre-program workshops (Columbia, Baruch).

You will probably not have much success if you apply to the MFE programs which are based in the Math departments. However, with MFE from UC-Berkeley or CMU you end up earning nearly twice as much and have much better career progression as compared to the other MFEs. They have got a super-strong alumni network on Wall Street which will help you throughout your career an prevent you from becoming a low-paid code monkey.
Please stop.
You are hurting your credibility as well as this site's usefulness if you keep saying things that you have no first hand experience with. It's been established that you have no affiliation or experience with either program. You never hire their graduates nor work with them, do you?

You keep saying the same thing over and over, it likes marketing pitches going through echo chambers. In the past, you said NYU, CMU, UCB, Stanford are the best, now you said graduates from NYU do not have much success as those from business school?

I have no idea how strong the alumni network of those programs are. Do you?

As you said, you already have 4 years of programming experience and you know finance, you want to do quant. work - developer, etc.

Then just apply the job directly. MFE programs don't teach you programming, take a look at the curriculums on the schools websites. The degree adds little value of what you want to do.

I agree with the suggestion to try applying to a few jobs that interest and see if you get anything.

You are correct that a GRE quant score of 800 is pretty standard these days and is what you should be aiming for.

What you could do is hold off on taking any math courses and apply to some programs that interest you. Hopefully you get accepted and can do a fresher course before the program starts, and if not you can go back to the drawing board and look for ways to strengthen your application.

It is really impossible to say what you will need to get accepted because it depends on the other applicants and what the program is looking for. I think you have a strong profile right now and a good chance of getting an acceptance.

Back