• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE In a Dilemma: Got Acceptances from Columbia MAFN and NYU Tandon

Received Tandon's offer and I did some homework these days, there are my opinions:
1. Tandon is undoubtedly upwards with P.Carr, you can see that most negative comments about Tandon were from students who have graduated before P.Carr's arrival. I have consulted some students who entered this program AFTER P.Carr's arrival and ALL of them gave me positive feedback, both in curriculum and career service
2. Tandon's previous reputation is indeed disappointing....
3. The tuition of Tandon is relatively low
4. MFE in Tandon is a 2 years program, that is very attractive for me, the pressure will be significantly lower...(Imagine that you have to complete all courses and do internships and find jobs in a single year....)
Tandon may be the most controversial program in my opinion,....Hope there will be more information (especially from those who know this program very well)
BTW, I would greatly appreciate that if you can let me know your final decision

Received Tandon's offer and I did some homework these days, there are my opinions:
1. Tandon is undoubtedly upwards with P.Carr, you can see that most negative comments about Tandon were from students who have graduated before P.Carr's arrival. I have consulted some students who entered this program AFTER P.Carr's arrival and ALL of them gave me positive feedback, both in curriculum and career service
2. Tandon's previous reputation is indeed disappointing....
3. The tuition of Tandon is relatively low
4. MFE in Tandon is a 2 years program, that is very attractive for me, the pressure will be significantly lower...(Imagine that you have to complete all courses and do internships and find jobs in a single year....)
Tandon may be the most controversial program in my opinion,....Hope there will be more information (especially from those who know this program very well)
BTW, I would greatly appreciate that if you can let me know your final decision
Hey Zhongheng! I decided to go with Tandon. The factor that ultimately convinced me to make this decision is the absence of any dedicated career services at Columbia MAFN. For an international student with no relevant professional experience or connections in the industry, that is a scary proposition, however vaunted the reputation of the university may be. I just felt like this was the less risky of the two options.

Hey Zhongheng! I decided to go with Tandon. The factor that ultimately convinced me to make this decision is the absence of any dedicated career services at Columbia MAFN. For an international student with no relevant professional experience or connections in the industry, that is a scary proposition, however vaunted the reputation of the university may be. I just felt like this was the less risky of the two options.
Valuable decision and reasoning! If I'd given the choice, I would do the same as you did. Even though someone says Carr is the key point of tandon's boost, and columbia's halo may shine upon on you longer, a good career start is always beneficial. MAFN's placement really fails his gorgeous brand.

I would join MAFN. The curriculum is tough and if you understand the material well you will be very competitive. Many of the professors are practitioners, some of whom I meet in person. I would recommend MAFN over tandon if you actually wanna learn.

Hello Shimai, I am currently a first-year student in MSFE from NYU Tandon. Congratulation on your admission of Columbia and NYU Tandon first. I want to share some experience in Tandon to provide some suggestions and hope that would help you make a decision. I know a lot of people in China cares a lot about the rankings of school or the reputation of the school, yes it is one of the factors that you should consider. But when the two programs are in a similar tier, I think it is more important to think about what you can learn and what you want to get from the Master program. The career service in Tandon is really great, our placement director Sara is very dedicated and that is what Columbia MAFN does not have. When you are finding an internship, school resources is very important and Peter and Sara do bring a lot of great resources. In Tandon, you also have a lot of opportunities to work with professors even with Professor Peter Carr, and this is a great chance to improve yourself. My experience in the U.S tells me that what really matters is what you have done and what you can do rather than what your school ranks. By the way, NYU also has a great reputation around the U.S, which does not really have much difference with Columbia. And you don't really need to worry about people came Tandon because of Peter Carr or Sara, they came for them is because they are actually making the program better and better. So it does not really matter why they came for them or the program itself, it is the same thing. Last year, I also received an offer from UCLA's MFE which is also a great program, but at last, I decided to come to Tandon, attracted by its various courses offered every semester. This course variety is very unique from other schools. And now I firmly believe that I make a great choice and really enjoin my life studying in Tandon. Looking forward to seeing you join us. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions.
Hello, can we talk personally in Wechat? It would be very kind for you to add me 229332268, please. I have been admitted in NYU MFE this year. I am very grateful if you would contact me.~

Back