• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

In case you're a cricket fan

Just saw (and signed up) for this website http://www.cricstock.com/... it sounds like a virtual trading forum like the one we have.... only difference, instead of stocks the securities are cricket players and you get virtual cricket rupees... Right now its in the IPO stage where you can bid for your players (within a range) and the trading begins 10th March...

An interesting study/play we can actually do is to check if actually having previous information helps or is it just that you can look numbers and come up with profits.... i guess the core basics of trading would remain the same right ?

This is like fantasy baseball. I'm sure we can apply the same techniques of Fantasy Baseball to Cricket since they seem kind of similar. I don't know much about cricket though so I'm not sure.

We may be able to use these techniques for lotto, the mega is at 365? million :) I know nothing about cricket

well actually i still prefer something more along the fantasy baseball (i know nothing about baseball) types..... the way i see it lotto is a waste of money because I know as a fact that they are NOT losing any money..

On this platform though there is more trasperancy :-- I can see what "stocks" are in interest and how is this interest changing... you can kind of try and make educated guesses in such a scenario....

SP, fantasy baseball is a huge business in itself.

Also, the level of statistics applied to baseball has gone to another level. There is even an organization that deal with that type of stuff the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR)
The people that use those theories are called "sabrmetricians". The most famous of them is Bill James who works as a consultant for the Red Sox (the enemy :) ) now.

One of the best sites about this topic is Baseball Prospectus

There is even an O'Reilly book dedicated to this topic
http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Hack...8790055?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173206176&sr=8-1

We can talk more before class. This is really interesting if we can apply this findings to cricket.

Well there is always the good old trusted wikipedia (wonder if i am the only one doing this, but if i want to search something I first go to wikipedia, and then go to google) ... here is a link to the wikipedia article on cricket and it has many nice external links and references

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

I bet SP is a HUGE fan of cricket ;)

Very interesting info from [wikipedia]Cricket[/wikipedia]
Cricket has been an established team sport for hundreds of years. It originated in its modern form in England and is popular mainly in the present and former members of the Commonwealth. In the countries of South Asia, including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, cricket is the most popular sport.
From this, I have the impression that cricket is mostly popular in former British colonies. Even though I've seen cricket in Bolywood movies but I thought that soccer is the most popular sport in the world outside of USA. So I can't imagine how popular cricket is in India. How popular is soccer compared to cricket in India ?

Is cricket mainstream in India or just for the upper-class ? As you can guess, cricket is non-existent in my country.

Indians eat, sleep,drink cricket.Its mainstream game. Next game is hockey... Soccer is not popular in India.

Hockey? As in ice hockey? Or grass hockey?

You really dont have much ice in india mike :), unless you go to the mountains which i guess would represent possibly 2-3% of the country in terms of geographical area and less than 1% of the country in terms of population...

Hockey just because of the nature of the game is played either on grass, or gravel turfs... There are sand based artificial turfs too, but those being expensive are less common...

Also although hockey is official the national sport, cricket is more popular and has more of a religion status... Cricket is played everywhere, starting from my apartment kitchen to the biggest stadium in the world...

We should play cricket one day.

I played with my indian colleagues and I didn't start hitting until I swing the bat as a baseball bat. I don't get the whole batter stance in cricket. I can still protect the "wicket" from a baseball stance.

Back