• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

In need of some advice

I'm only a freshman at a public UC school in California. I'm extremely interested in getting a masters in finance/financial engineering. Currently, I'm majoring in applied mathematics and statistics with an emphasis in finance. The major will require me to take all of the math/statistics/economic classes in addition to some programming (the faculty said the point of the major was to produce quants), so hopefully I'll be prepared for my master's education. However, I'm worried as to actually getting into a master's program. How competitive are the top master's programs? What else should I be doing to distinguish myself as a better applicant besides looking for possible internships (this is rather hard as a freshman who's planning to graduate in three years). And also, how are the job prospects for someone with such a degree?

Thanks in advance

Back