• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

In QuantNet top 17 colleges, what are all programs fall under STEM designation

HI friends,

what are all the colleges in our(quantnet) top 17 ranking colleges fall under stem course

it wud be very useful for me.. as i want to join only those courses in our FE/mathematical finance stream.

could you people help me out.. thanks in advance

for easy reference i am posting college name and course again

Baruch College,
Financial Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Computational Finance
Princeton University
Master in Finance
Columbia University
Financial Engineering
berkley (it is stem )
Cornell University
MEng, FE concentration
Columbia University
Mathematics of Finance
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
Financial Engineering
University of Chicago
Financial Mathematics
Georgia Institute of Technology
Quantitative and Computational Finance
New York University
Mathematics in Finance
North Carolina State University
Financial Mathematics
Boston University
Mathematical Finance
Rutgers University
Quantitative Finance
University of Washington
Computational Finance & Risk Management
Fordham University
Quantitative Finance

Colleges are not classified as STEM or not. It's their programs that are categorized. I can't say for sure, but most likely all these programs are STEM. I know programs that are hardly quantitative and they are still considered "STEM" for student visa purposes

Don't quote me on this but I did a bit of research on the matter when I applied last year, these programs are STEM OPT eligible (not sure if that's what you're after though): Princeton MFin, Columbia MSFE, CMU MSCF, NYU (Courant) MathFin, UCLA MFE, Berkeley MFE, Chicago MSMF, Baruch MFE, Cornell MFE.

Things may have changed or I might have made mistakes but this information is often readily available on their respective websites, and I'm sure you can email them to query about STEM classification and they'll happily assist you.

Don't quote me on this but I did a bit of research on the matter when I applied last year, these programs are STEM OPT eligible (not sure if that's what you're after though): Princeton MFin, Columbia MSFE, CMU MSCF, NYU (Courant) MathFin, UCLA MFE, Berkeley MFE, Chicago MSMF, Baruch MFE, Cornell MFE.

Things may have changed or I might have made mistakes but this information is often readily available on their respective websites, and I'm sure you can email them to query about STEM classification and they'll happily assist you.
thank u very much . for your prompt answer.. yes ofcourse i meant STEM OPT infact.. thank you very much. .

I'm going to add a STEM designation on our annual MFE rankings for programs qualified as such. It will be updated as soon as I can link to their respective official declaration.
Baruch MFE
The Baruch MFE Program is a STEM-designated program that produces competitive, successful, and highly skilled practitioners by promoting the study of mathematical and algorithmic models in finance.
CMU MSCF
Eligible students have a maximum of 12 months of OPT; students who have earned a degree in a designated-STEM field (the MSCF degree is STEM-designated) may be eligible for an additional 24 months under the OPT STEM
UCB MFE
From faculty members who are the force behind groundbreaking financial instruments to the industry leaders who advise on the curriculum, this STEM degree program is designed to be relevant in a constantly evolving industry.
UCLA MFE
The UCLA Anderson MFE program is qualified for STEM, which can extend an international student's OPT by 24 months, for a total of 36 months.
Princeton MFin
Chicago MSMF
STEM Extension: Financial Mathematics is a USCIS-approved STEM field and as such, our graduates are eligible to apply for a 24-month STEM extension of their 12-month OPT.
Lehigh MFE
The MS in Financial Engineering program contains an interdisciplinary curriculum that includes STEM fields, which qualifies the program as a STEM designated degree.
Illinois MSFE
The MS Financial Engineering Degree from UIUC is considered part of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field.
CGU MFE
Our MSFE program is STEM designated, allowing international graduates of the program to remain in the U.S. for 36 months after graduation and receive work-based training.
NYU Courant MathFin, NYU Tandon MFE
Above links to PDF file which lists both programs under their respective name as NYU STEM program.
Rutgers MQF
The Master of Quantitative Finance program qualifies as a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) field for international students that are considering Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Rutgers MathFinance
As a STEM program, students may be eligible for a 24 month extension of their Optional Practical Training (OPT) for a total of 36 months.
RPI QFRA

What Lally programs are STEM designated fields?​

• M.S. in Quantitative Finance and Risk Analytics
Fordham MSQF
The Gabelli School MSQF program is STEM-approved, offering International students the ability to work for a longer period without Immediate need of sponsorship.
Washington CFRM
I am an international student. Is the CFRM MS considered a STEM program eligible for OPT extension?
Yes. CFRM is fully qualified for whatever the current US federal standard allows.
Stevens MFE
NCSU MSFM
NC State’s Masters of Financial Mathematics qualifies for the STEM optional practical training (OPT) extension. Most students on an F-1 visa take advantage of the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and work at a paid internship while enrolled in the program at NC State.
Columbia MAFN
The Mathematics of Finance MA degree is STEM eligible
Georgia Tech MS QCF
The MS QCF Program is a federally-designated STEM degree program.
UConn MS FinMath
The M.S. in Applied Financial Mathematics qualifies as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree with the federal government.
UNC Charlotte MS MathFin
The M.S. in Math Finance is STEM-designated, allowing for a total of 36 months of OPT.
UMich QFRM
The Quant Program is designated as a STEM program, so our students are eligible to apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension.
Columbia MSFE
The Master of Science in Financial Engineering program is STEM-certified and eligible for F-1 STEM OPT extension.
Cornell MFE
Graduates of the program have a U.S. degree in an approved science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) field
IIT MMF
The M.M.F. program is a STEM designated program and international graduates are eligible to apply for an extension for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Johns Hopkins Financial Mathematics
Our master’s programs are STEM approved. Below are the CIP codes.

Applied Mathematics and Statistics: 27.01.01

Financial Mathematics: 27.03.01

Data Science: 27.05.01

Last edited:
I'm going to add a STEM designation on our annual MFE rankings for programs qualified as such. It will be updated as soon as I can link to their respective official declaration.
CMU MSCF

UCB MFE

UCLA MFE

Princeton MFin

Chicago MSMF

Lehigh MFE

Illinois MSFE

CGU MFE

NYU Courant MathFin, NYU Tandon MFE

Rutgers MQF

Rutgers MathFinance

RPI QFRA

Fordham MSQF

Washington CFRM

Stevens MFE
NCSU MSFM

Columbia MAFN
You are my angel , wowww. no words. this solved all my problems.. as i am planning to mail each of them.. thank you ..thank you very much indeed..... I am new to this forum.. this is my first question. never expected such a dedication from members... This forum is really super.. one stop solution

Nice to see the quantnet rankings updated with ticks to indicate STEM eligible degrees. Can someone please confirm if Cornell MFE is STEM eligible? I always felt that it is and hence did not try checking this during the info session.

@Andy Nguyen Is there any wait for the official confirmation? Thanks,

@Andy Nguyen Is there any wait for the official confirmation? Thanks,
I already contacted the Cornell program's director and should get a reply soon. I suspect most, if not all programs in the 2021 rankings are STEM designated. Many just put up the explicit info after I contacted them.

thanks again and happy too see all in single page with red ticks for the stem affiliated ones.. .. thanks again @Andy Nguyen . u really dont know .. how much time you have saved me... thanks indeed.

Back