• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

International students: Getting to know NY

This is a continuation of the post I started, seeking tips from New Yorkers on finding a home, getting around NYC, travel farecards for students etc. for internationals.

It would be better if thread was migrated to this platform, let's see what happens.

Cheers.

I don't know if I would be able to merge the posts from maxrum over here if ever since the setup at each forum is different so I'll try to repost what i posted over there. And it's better for new students if we can keep the discussion at one place.

1)As for getting around, public transportation is the best way to move around NYC. You can and should buy a monthly metro card for $76/month that will give you unlimited use the MTA bus, subway. You can get the card from any subway station's vending machine. This is a very good deal because without the card, you would have to pay $2 each time you enter the system.
If you live in NJ, I think there is a monthly pass you can buy too.

2) As for housing, the first stop would be http://newyork.craigslist.org/roo/. The school is in midtown Manhattan and is accessible by bus and subway (4.5,6, N,R,W train). Look for shared,rentals in Manhattan but I'm doubtful you can find affordable housing there. Definitely look into Queens or the Bronx, Brooklyn if you can't afford Manhattan.

3) Contact Baruch's international student office, housing office, they may be able to give you some help. The link is http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/issc/index.html

Regards,
Andy

Greetings again,

An 1-br apt or studio in Queens could cost you somewhere between 800-1000+/month. I don't know if you like to save money by sharing. Finding an apt with a lease for yourself could be very expensive and difficult.

Shared 1-br in a 2-3 br apt could cost you 600+. it should include everthing (gas, internet, electricity,etc). Be prepared to pay a lot because cost of living in NYC is very expensive.

Here is the subway map http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Ideally, you should look for housing close to 7,N,W trains because it will run directly to Baruch. If not, it should be near a bus where you can transfer to those trains.

Depends on where you live, the travel time varies. I don't live in Queens so i don't know exactly but it takes 30-40 minutes from the Main St station (7 train) to 42 st in midtown.

It takes me 45 minutes from uptown to Baruch.
My advice to you is to start house hunting NOW....it takes several months of looking, asking, posting, emailing to find something you may feel comfortable with sight-unseen.

Best regards,

Andy

This is in Manhattan borough. This is a picture of UES. The streets are number-grid so it's very easy.

upper-east-side-attractions-map.gif

Manhattan is divided into uptown,midtown, downtown and there are several small parts in each section. For example, in uptown there are UES (upper east side) and UWS (upper west side). Where each part is located is defined by its street location.

Anyway, since you are not interested in Manhattan, I think it's just for fun reading about the borough.

To read more about NYC, visit www.mustseenewyork.com
Is there a way of placing a *.jpg etc file in threads? It would be useful to internationals, because quite frankly, I haven't a clue as to your reference. :? One way would be www.tinypic.com. All suggestions welcomed.

There is a way to embed a link to img when you post. Look at the Img tag on the top of the window when you reply, it's next to List, URL...it's called bbCode....Just click on Img and past the link to the pic and click Img tag to close it. Do the same for other tags.

Paradoxically, I am referring to the below link to explore NYC,
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20060428_HOMICIDE_MAP.html and it is not a joke. I found detailed street name and the location of Baruch, so it is quite useful.
There are many other ways to find info about what you need. I would suggest Google search as your first choice.
To get reply to all your question about NYC, please visit the local forum at
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/newyork

They are very friendly people (I should know, i'm a member there). I always get fast and useful answer there.
You don't need to sign up to post question there.

Everyone: Friends have suggested that I look for housing in Jersey City (I think it is in NJ) and Queens. Based on my budget, Manhattan is definitely out.

I have browsed craiglist and there are some nice offers. New Yorkers, I need your advice on the street name, location and vicinity of a bus or subway, and I hope you wouldn't mind my PM-ing for further discussions.

Jersey city is in New Jersey State, it's across Manhattan from Hudson river. I don't know if it's cheaper there (depends on the location) but I know you have to take a path train to the city and then transfer to the subway station.

I think in your situation, you would be better served living in Queens. You should search craigslist for 1 br shared in Queens, the locations that close to Baruch are Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Maspeth, Flushing..

Look at the map http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm and find housing along those subway line 7,N,R,F,V....

When you search on CL, search in Queens and then narrow down to those in the neighborhoods i just show you, then to apts that within walking distance to the trains.
You may have difficulty since most listings prefer female students...:)
so i can't help you there.

Post back if you have any problem and I'm sure others will jump in to offer help.

Best of luck

Here is a FAQ at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/newyork
This is one of the good FAQ for new people coming to New York City. You can find the info about housing, weather, restaurant, transportation.

Hopefully, Mike, Yan and other students can repost what they suggested or provide new tips for incoming students, specially those from oversea.

I think this is a very useful source of information for our new students so I hope everyone can contribute.

Regards,

Sangfroid said:
Housing:
Why does some owners make tenants pay for electricity and gas whilst others don't? Can we effectively save by paying for utilities or accept a 'flat' rate?
In general, if you rent an apt in a building, you will have to pay for gas and electricity. You don't have to pay for water. Depends on the type of heating system, you have to pay for heating too if it uses gas. In my apt, the system is steam boiled heating from the building's central boilder so I don't have to pay for heating.

If you sublet a room in a multi-room apt, it is up to the owner to decide which way to go. Most of the time you will see utilities included (gas, electricity). Some place will have internet access (wireless or otherwise). If they deem you a heavy user of utilities, they will require you to pay per diem but since you are a student and not at home most of the time I think you can negotiate it.

For reference, my friend just rented an one room in a 2-room apt in Flushing, Queens. The rent is $500/m with EVERYTHING included. She needs to take a short bus to the 7 train Main St station to the city. I think it's a very good price. She got the apt from craigslist after 1 month looking.

You should expect to pay in the range of $500-600 for a basic room with all included.

Quite a list you have Sangfroid. I can see that you have taken proper steps to ease your move oversea. I can understand the level of anxiety because I couldn't wait for my letter of admission a whole month after I submitted my application :oops:
Sangfroid said:
Academic Needs:
Baruch has 3 academic semesters, fall (Sept - Dec), spring (Jan - May), summer (May - Sept). Someone correct me on this one.
Compared to fall and Spring semesters (16 weeks), summer semesters are shorter (12 weeks). Applicable to Baruch?
Baruch as most other colleges in NY has only 2 semesters, Spring and Fall. Summer session is optional and not required, specially for international students. As an international student, by law you are required to be full-time students in the Spring and Fall semesters. Full-time is defined differently at different schools and on different level of study. Undergraduate full-time is 12 credits/semester. Graduate full-time is less. I'm not sure how many credit is considered full-time for you. Just take 12 credit as a reference because you will take 4 classes anyway. In my PhD program, 7 credits is considered full-time study. And classes carry either 3 or 4.5 credits each.

There are no summer courses except for the refresher courses in our program. Next summer, you don't have to take any class (there is no class for us next summer as I know of) and you can work full-time if you can find an internship.

In many states they have the tri-semester system where you take 3 semesters a year.
Sangfroid said:
Q: Does Baruch apply the credit hour system? What is the grading policy/system at Baruch?
Every class in our program is 3 credits. So to be full-time, you have to take 4 courses/semester. Except the summer courses where grading is Pass/Fail, all other classes are based on letter grade (A,A-,B+,B,B-,etc...down to F).
Sangfroid said:
Finances and Banking:
The following are prices for selected products and services to give you a feel of the cost of living in NY.
Textbooks - Up to USD 300
Food (1 basic meal) - USD 6 to USD 12 (Relevant?)
MTA (Subway) - USD 2 flat, Student fare card $76 per month (does it apply to students commuting from NJ?), What about transportation from NJ?
Movie at Cineplex - USD 6 (student rate, still relevant?)
Theaters and music - I suppose the main draws for me are Malcolm Gladwell, my respect for the NewYorker, Broadway plays and jazz. Can we get discounted tickets as students for these plays and music?
Groceries - ???
International Phonecards - USD 10 - USD 20 (Buy online, still relevant?)
Haircut Unisex - USD 20 (Relevant?)
The quoted book price is a bit too much. Something in the range of $30-$100 is more like it unless you want to buy new book from the bookstores. I suppose most of us will buy used books from online stores.

Food: there are $1 menu at McDonald's and there are $20 salad so I guess it depends on what you like to eat. My guesstimate would be $4-$8 for a meal, not a sit-down in a restaurant of course. Chinese food is cheap here.

MTA card is not applicable for NJ transit, you have to buy a different card for it. Yan told us that it costs her $2 each way to take a bus from Port Authority to NJ.

Movies ticket is $9-$10. Some have discount during the day. I don't know of any student discount at the movies. What they have is a discount pass you can buy at your school for $6/ticket that can be used to see movies 10 days after its first run. I bought several of them at my school for $3 each when they had a big sale last month. :)

The have the same discount for students. You can pickup the coupon from library, students club,etc...

Phone card: is quite cheap being in NYC, the melting pot of the world. You can buy it in Chinatown, Queens for $10 or less and can call home for several hours.

Hair cut: what style you want? :) It all depends, women haircut costs much more than men. It costs me $8 a cut in Chinatown :)

I'll try to answer some more later.

Sorry posted something confusing. Food is not taxed unless it is prepared i.e. restaurants McDonalds, delis (not too sure about delis). The state tax is 8.625%

RussianMike said:
Sorry posted something confusing. Food is not taxed unless it is prepared i.e. restaurants McDonalds, delis (not too sure about delis). The state tax is 8.625%

Here is directly quoted from NYC.gov website. Here is the direct link
What Goods and Services are Subject to This Tax?
New York City imposes sales tax on the sale or use of the following items in the City:

1. Tangible personal property;
2. Certain enumerated services;
3. Gas, electricity, refrigeration, steam, telephone, and telegraph services;
4. Detective, cleaning, and maintenance services;
5. Occupancy of hotel and motel rooms;
6. Food and beverages sold by restaurants and caterers;
7. Admission charges to places of amusement;
8. Receipts from beauty, barbering, hair restoring, manicures, pedicures, electrolysis, massage, and other, similar services;
9. Receipts from the sale of services by or use of facilities of weight control salons, health salons, gymnasiums, and similar establishments;
10. Sales of credit rating and credit reporting services;
11. Sales of protective and detective services; and
12. Receipts from the sales of the service of parking, garaging, or storing motor vehicles.

The NYC sale tax has been eliminated for all clothing purchases under $110 beginning April 1,2006.

Tax Rates
On Items 1-11 above, the City sales tax rate is 4 percent (in addition to the New York State sales and use tax of 4 percent and the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District surcharge of 0.375%), for a total Sales and Use tax of 8.375 percent.

There is no sales tax imposed on the purchase of clothing and footwear valued under $110. The New York State tax rate of 4.375% (including the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District rate) was repealed effective April 1, 2006, and the New York City tax rate of 4% was eliminated effective September 1, 2005. If you know of a merchant that is still charging sales tax on clothing and footwear purchases of less than $110 please contact Finance's Tax Enforcement Division to report the matter. You may also complete and mail a refund request to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to recoup the erroneously charged sales tax in these instances.

On Item 12 above, the City imposes a 6 percent tax and an additional 8 percent surtax (on parking, garaging, or storing motor vehicles in Manhattan).

If you are a resident of Manhattan and own a motor vehicle registered in the same borough, you may be eligible for an exemption from the additional New York City 8 percent surtax now levied on parking services there. For those who qualify, the tax will be at a rate of 10.375 percent instead of 18.375 percent.

Hope it helps with the confusion Mike. The tax used to be 8.625% sometime ago when it was reduced to 8.375%

Sangfroid said:
On top of every purchase, there is a state tax of 7% imposed. It is common practice to tip people (about 15%) who provide some service (e.g. waiters, hairstylists). You can deposit funds in your buzzcard (is there such a thing from CUNY?)
Mike and I cover the tax issues above. I guess we live in the US where there are only two guaranteed things: tax and death so we are kind of unconscious about paying it. Coming from Asia where sale tax is not very common, it will take some time getting used to. 15% tip is about right in NYC. It's up to you to tip the server and some restaurants will include the 15% tip in their total bill.

I don't know what buzzcard is but I know that CUNY students can link their ID card to their checking account. This is a service by Citibank I think, to get more customer. The idea is that if you get financial aid (yes, some students get paid to get a college education via TAP,PELL government grants) you can have it direct deposited into your account without waiting on line to pick up the check. The card can be used to pay for books,etc....This does not apply to you so just ignore it.
Sangfroid said:
If you already have an ATM card that works with Cirrus / Plus machines, they will work here. VISA and MasterCard are accepted at most facilities; there is nothing wrong with charging $5 to your VISA. It probably is not a good idea to carry too much cash around; loose change will do fine. Since credit cards are generally accepted, it is a better idea to just carry that one card. In fact, it is probably the safest way to carry your money. Depending on your length of stay, it may suit you to open an account with the local bank (i.e. Wachovia, Bank of America). Local banks usually charge a flat fee for wiring in money from overseas banks and also provide a checkbook and checking card (good for payment). Some accounts do not require a maintenance fee and do not earn interest. Banks may also require customers to maintain their accounts for some minimal period of time (e.g. 6 months); otherwise, a fee may be imposed for closing an account prematurely.
Sound advice and all but I think it's more towards the tourist crowds who stay a few months here. You will be here for close to 2 years so my advice is to open a bank account and a credit card here. You don't want to get shocked with international ATM fee, who-know-what fee...
Sangfroid said:
Cold Weather:

In general, wool is excellent material to consider for cold climates. Wool traps air very well. If you find other good materials that can insulate well, you may also consider purchasing clothing made of those materials.

....Cut out for clarification
Most advice applies to you but I don't think you should worry about clothes too much. Don't bring too much, you will have more choice here.
Sangfroid said:
Calling within USA/NY [This I need all the feedback I can get!] :(

If you are planning to have a mobile phone in USA, here are the things to know:
• Make sure it is either tri-band or it supports GSM1900. The phones here are still in prehistoric stage here.
• Typically all services in NY are about the same in terms of clarity, but GSM’s reception is relatively poorer (in some places) because it is still at development stage here in ....... [applicable in NY?]. Most people use non-GSM services here in US.
•If you don’t really care about stylish phones, then you should definitely buy the phone here in NY. Phones here are much cheaper, and the non-GSM phones have wider network coverage.
In term of phone styles and bleeding-edge services, I would say the US market is 2,3 years behind those in Asia specially Japan and South Korea. We don't have the latest phones here, and 3G is not widespread. Most people use phones here to talk, not a device to send text, watch TV, browse the net like what they do in Asia.
Don't buy a phone. When you sign up with a service, they will give you a free phone. Most service will require a 2 years contract, you can find 1 year as well. If you have you own phone, you can use your phone instead. Most tri-band,quad-band phones can be used all over the world as well as in the US.

Sprint and Verizon are the major CDMA carriers, Cingular and T-Mobile use GSM, and Nextel takes iDEN. The other smaller and regional carriers such as Virgin Mobile, U.S. Cellular, MetroPCS, and Alltel use CDMA.

If you buy a modern phone, chances are it's GSM tri or quad-band enabled so you can use it everywhere. It's really cheap to buy a phone in the US. Even cheaper if you get used phone off the internet. You can get the popular Motorola Razr V3 for free with your service or buy it for $50.

NYC is a major metropolitan so the choices of things are mind blowing.

I think I am reading unfamiliar jargons but I shall try to describe them in my context, and hopefully you can assimilate these services to a name familiar to you.

Where I come from, when we open an account with a bank, it will provide its account holders with an ATM card and check book. We use the ATM card to withdraw money from the specific Bank's ATM and pay for most of our purchases e.g. supermarket, shops etc. without tax and service charges except the 4D and TOTO (I shall not comment further on this matter). Credit cards on the other hand are used to pay for services or goods not payable via ATM cards. For example meals at restaurants. These days credit cards are accepted in most shops that ATM cards are used solely for money withdrawal. The local banks are aggressively promoting their offers with a lot of goodies and gifts with a number of points accumulated. I presume that promotions are a lot more interesting in NY, correct?

Whilst I have no experience withdrawing cash from ATM using my credit card, I do believe there is a charge imposed for every withdrawal. So, unless you are a tourist, no locals would use credit cards for withdrawals because we have the ATM card. Which brings me to my question. What is a checking card? Is it equivalent to my understanding of ATM card? Does the credit card providers in NY impose charge for ATM withdrawals?

Here is another extract from CMU:
=================
New Bank Account

In US, you have many choices when it comes to opening a bank account. There are Commercial banks, Saving & Loans (also called Thrifts) and Pure Internet Banks. Again, choosing a bank involves trading off several factors such as:

Convenience: can I withdraw/deposit money easily? Interest rates and service charges: In general, the larger commercial banks tend to have lower savings interests and higher service charge. Thrifts and online banks tend to give higher interest rates and many free services. Risk: People generally associate smaller banks or online banks with higher risk. In US, all regulated banks are monitored by their respective federal agencies and are mandated by law to offer their depositors with a deposit insurance of up to US$100000 per account. So, before opening an account (especially with an online bank), make sure the bank is a regulated one.

[In NY, there are plenty of big commercial banks.] If you'd like to find out more about each bank, you could either look up their websites or make a trip down to the bank and talk to their account managers. [This is not my cup of tea, which banks have some of you guys and gals selected?]

If you're also interested in other banks such as the smaller thrifts, you can look up the Yellow Pages for more information. [Sounds interesting, what are your experiences? Care to name the few online ones?]

It is not advisable to carry too much cash. IMO, using Traveler's Checks and your country-based credit card is good enough to tide over the first couple of months. To open a bank account, you can either use cash, traveler's checks or a money order. The caveat for using a money order is that you will not have immediate access to your cash; it usually takes about a week to 9 business days. Once you have an account you can always wire money from your country when you need, but costs are rather high (about US$40 + local charges per wire transfer).

Using a Check Card

If you open a checking account, you will be given a Check Card (aka ATM card in Singapore). However, in reality they worked somewhat differently. When you make payment with your ATM card using NETS, your transaction is logged and reflected in real time at the ATM machine. Over here, this is not true especially if you make a transaction on weekends. To illustrate, imagine I have $50 in my check account. On a particular Sat, I went shopping at Guess and fell in love with a $100 dress. Thinking I have $150 in my checking account, I decided to pay using my checking card. Then, I went to the ATM machine to check my balance (which still shows $50 because the last -$100 transaction has not been reconciled with the bank yet) and withdraw $20 so I can buy dinner. Note also that unlike ATM cards, a Check Card can be used even when you have negative amount in your bank - the only thing is the bank charges you for every overdraft item you make!

Credit History

In US, every individual with a social security number can be tracked in terms of how well and prompt they have been in paying their bills (rent, utilities, phone, magazines, credit cards, etc.). When you do not pay your bills, your creditor will report to a credit bureau who will then make this information available to companies that are interested in your credit history. A good credit history is important, not your earning power, if you plan to take a loan, buy car insurance or apply for credit cards.

Credit Cards and Loans

As a new resident with no credit history, it can be a challenge to get a credit card or to apply for a loan (such as buying a car). Fortunately, Citibank and CMU offer student cards to students who are receiving some form of income (stipends included) [Similarly for CUNY I suppose?]. They usually set up a booth during the first few weeks of each semester. Initially, your credit limit will be extremely low but that increases rapidly after a year if you maintain a good credit history with them.

For students that do not receive stipends and are not getting a US-based income of any form, the tendency to be rejected for a credit card application in your first few months here is higher. Some students eventually get an application through but in case of rejection, you should use your country-based credit card as a backup.

Health Insurance

In US, you need to make an appointment to see a doctor unless it is an emergency. However, the earliest appointments available are typically 2-4 weeks away - which really defeats the purpose of seeing a doctor! [Oh my god! :shock: ]

And even when you get to see a doctor, you still need to go buy your own medication since doctors here do not dispense medicine. Hence, most people tend to self-medicate with off-the-counter drugs that are available at most pharmacies (like CVS, Pharmor) or grocery stores (such as Giant Eagle).

The cost of delivering a baby can be $9,000. A visit to the hospital Emergency Room (A&E in Singapore lingo) can cost $2,000. A day's stay at the hospital can cost $500, more than a 5-star hotel! As an International student, we are mandated to have health insurance coverage. This is mainly to protect us against the risk of catastrophic events that might incur gigantic medical bills.

CMU Health Services is your best resource for information on health insurance. The costs of a comprehensive plan are roughly $930 per year for individual coverage and $2600 for family (this rates increase by up to 10% each year). This does not include dental or vision (need to purchase as an option). If you are married and your spouse is not working, you might consider buying the family coverage. If your spouse is working, it is very likely that he/she will be covered by her employer - you might also get to enjoy his/her benefit. It is also advisable for you and your spouse to choose the same doctor as your primary health-care physician. This doctor can then provide a more complete health care to you and your family. Since the CMU Health Service is meant only for students, you will have to choose your primary physician from the list approved by your medical insurance.

Sangfroid said:
I think I am reading unfamiliar jargons but I shall try to describe them in my context, and hopefully you can assimilate these services to a name familiar to you.

Where I come from, when we open an account with a bank, it will provide its account holders with an ATM card and check book. We use the ATM card to withdraw money from the specific Bank's ATM and pay for most of our purchases e.g. supermarket, shops etc. without tax and service charges except the 4D and TOTO (I shall not comment further on this matter). Credit cards on the other hand are used to pay for services or goods not payable via ATM cards. For example meals at restaurants. These days credit cards are accepted in most shops that ATM cards are used solely for money withdrawal. The local banks are aggressively promoting their offers with a lot of goodies and gifts with a number of points accumulated. I presume that promotions are a lot more interesting in NY, correct?

Whilst I have no experience withdrawing cash from ATM using my credit card, I do believe there is a charge imposed for every withdrawal. So, unless you are a tourist, no locals would use credit cards for withdrawals because we have the ATM card. Which brings me to my question. What is a checking card? Is it equivalent to my understanding of ATM card? Does the credit card providers in NY impose charge for ATM withdrawals?

You can use credit card for every day need. It's more popular than debit cards. If you open an account with a bank, they will mostly provide you with a debit card which doubles as an ATM card. You can use that card to take the money out from the ATM machine or to pay for your purchases. There is a pin number you need to enter when you use your debit card. There is no charge if you take cash out of your bank ATM network. There is $1 or something charge if you take cash out of a different bank ATM.

Every time you use the debit card, the amount will be deducted directly from your checking/saving account. You can get a credit card from your bank or from 1000+ other issuers. There is a huge charge if you take credit to take cash out. It's called cash advance. This is something nobody wants to do.

It sounds really complicated so just take it easy and when you get here, you'll know what to do.

I do my banking mostly online and almost never use ATM,debit card to withdraw cash so I don't know much about the current fee structure and rules.

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience and should be taken as such.

Thanks all.

Good that you have reminded me on the immunization issues.

Cheers.

Do all the health requirement forms way ahead of time, and follow up with the Health Office. When I registered, I forgot to submit my Meningococcal Meningitis form, I did not get the OK to register. Luckily, I called the Admissions Office 2 weeks before registration, and I got everything sorted.

Note that the Student Health Office is gets swamped easily.

Jimmy

Jimmy,
Can you talk a bit about the registration process? How to avoid long line?
At my other colleges, you can spread your tuition into 3,4 smaller payments. At Baruch, from the info I can read on the website, you have to deal with some outside service, the Bursar office there does not deal with deferral payment plan. Can you confirm?

Thanks

Registration process for the first time
=============================
1) It's going to be a long line.
2) It happens on orientation. Basically, you fill out some form Cathy gives you, and you bring it to the Registrar. The Registrar will then enroll you in the classes.
3) Bring the form the Registrar generates to the Bursar. You may pay via check, cash, or credit card.

All Other Registrations
=================
There is no line.

1) Pick out what classes you want to take with advisement and approval with Professor Stefanica, and find out their codes. The course code is different from the Course #. Ensure that the courses still have open seats.
2) Wait till our registration period; it's different for each individual.
3) Go to https://esims.cuny.edu
4) Submit; if there are problems, call Cathy.
5) When the bill arrives via snail mail, pay it via credit card, check, or cash. Or if you wish, you may go directly to the Bursar even before the bill arrives, and pay it in person.

Many schools use that payment vendor. There is some fee involved. I do not know too much about it.

Jimmy

Jimmy,
Thanks for the informative post. The first time registration is something i dread. Subsequent registration drill is something I know about since I've been a CUNY student for life :D
We're waiting for Dan's instruction about the ID card for summer courses. Hopefully with that ID we can obtain email address and bunch of other services at Baruch that requires a Baruch username/password. I'm excited about the wireless service at Baruch.

Total cost

I believe the Baruch program is nice. Can you guy advise the approx. total living costs for the entire MSc program? I need to work out my budget.

Thanks.

Back