• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

International students: Getting to know NY

I just found out that everything we've been discussing in this topic is covered in a special section on Baruch site
http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tutorials/international/
This is a very good flash tutorial for international students. They cover basic info that you need to know. I will now make this topic a sticky so it won't get lost as time goes by.

Just as I have started this thread for international students, I am glad to conclude, somewhat, that I have found a place in Elmhurst, Queens. I shall be sharing it with another person and the rent is comparatively cheaper than most rooms I have seen (via pictures). It will cost me $550 a month without utilities which can come to about $45-$50, just as Andy and Jimmy have estimated:

Electricity -- about $20-$25 per month.
Gas -- about $10 per month.
Internet/DSL -- about $60 per month.

I found this place through craiglist which is a great housing search platform for international students. You can get an idea of what the going rentals are and make a choice. Also, you could interact with experienced landowners and tenants who would help you get networks for your choice of location and housing. By sharing and finding the right fit (housemate and living conditions), savings are substantial without brokerage fee and having shelved my initial plan of getting a studio or 1br apartment. Weighing the odds and ends, it was just too much trouble getting furnitures, scouting for good buys alone and a 1 yr lease could be quite demanding, if you don't like the place.

Some tips:
a) Make sure you are upfront with your fellow tenant(s) or housemate(s) about your intentions, environment and habits. Insist that you want a relaxing environment or quiet since your are a full-time student and that you should reciprocate.

Here is an extract from my agreement:
1. Parties. Party A and Party B are roommates in the 2nd Floor Apartment. Party A rents a Large Bedroom to Party B. Party A and B will share the Living Room, Kitchen and Bathroom.

2. Leasing Period. Party B agrees to lease the Large Bedroom for minimum one year, starting from July 31st, 2006 to July 30th, 2007.

3. Rent. Party B agrees to pay $549 for each month rent. The Rent Pay Day is the 1st of each month.

4. Deposit. Party A receives $549 as a one-month deposit from Party B. When Party B moves out of the apartment, if there is no damage to the apartment, Party A shall return the full deposit amount back to Party B.

5. Utility. Party B agrees to share 50% of the monthly Electricity, Gas and DSL/Internet bills with Party A.

6. Cleaning. Party A and Party B agree to share the cleaning work for the apartment, including cleaning the Living Room, Bathroom and Kitchen. Party A and Party B both agree to keep the apartment clean and quiet.

b) Be clear and concise in your message to the owner. Your message body should include: 1) a short introduction of yourself and where you are located, 2) your needs and intentions in NY, 3) questions regarding utilities, request for pictures etc 4) details about yourself:

Desired date of occupancy:_
Desired No. Of occupants: Adults:_ Children:_
Current profession before becoming a student come August: _
Proof of income: As an incoming student to the US, I need to prove my financial status with the embassy to get a visa.
Habits: Down to earth, considerate, quiet living, sporty, neat and hygienic. Not a party person.
Smokers: No/yes
Pets: No/yes
How long do you wish to rent: _
Any experience as a tenant:_
Reference: _

Alright, the hour is close to my departure and of course arrival. I would be running around a lot e.g. reporting to the embassy, Baruch etc.

Tasks:
1) Get a metrocard (are there any discounts associated to a student ID?)
2) Where can I get a mobile line established? Shopping complex? Mom and pop shops?
3) In your opinion, which telecom company provides better reception, 2-year package? What are the transaction costs, as in how much should I be prepared to pay on the spot?

Sangfroid said:
No. The cost is $76 for monthly fare. Buy at any station.
Sangfroid said:
2) Where can I get a mobile line established? Shopping complex? Mom and pop shops?
Tons within a mile radius of where you live. Go to Main St, Flushing, pick and choose. You would need to get a Social Security number, ID (usually Driver license, not Student ID), US-based credit card before you can open a tel contract. All of the above may take up to several months. You can however, buy prepaid card to use with a phone. Details to be discussed with the saleperson.
Sangfroid said:
3) In your opinion, which telecom company provides better reception, 2-year package? What are the transaction costs, as in how much should I be prepared to pay on the spot?
little difference in the reception quality since NYC is a HUGE metropolitan. You can pay as little as $0 down depends on the type of contract. Free phones are dime a dozen these days (specially for those willing to sign a 2-year contract :lol: )

Sangfroid said:

No. Unfortunately no discounts for students. :(

Sangfroid said:

Mobile phone stores are everywhere. I don't know really which store is the best, but if you stick with big companies like BestBuy, CompUSA etc you can't go wrong. You can find a better deal in Chinatown or some other small stores. But there is also a probability to have problems.

Sangfroid said:

Verizon known for better reception. But if you are not living in basement, it doesn't really matter much. T-Mobile has most optimal prices/minutes plans. You can check them on tmobile.com. To get the plan you need have a driving license (I'm not sure if they accept non-US ID's for credit security reasons) and a credit card. I don't think it's a good idea to get a 2 year plan. Better get a one year contract. Price on the spot (sounds like a Spot Price :) ) depends which phone you are getting. If you are buying one of the basic ones you will pay nothing. May be a few $$ activation fee.

Grateful!

I won't need a handphone since I have one already.

I think I should have enough cash for the first week, assuming my draft clears within a week's time. I don't think I shall have major expenditures except for the metrocard. Sorry, can't socialize for the first week :oops:

Max: Why the preference over the 2-year contract?

Sangfroid said:
Max: Why the preference over the 2-year contract?

Basically, if you sign a two year contract you can get a little bit better phone for free or for a less money down. Monthly price will still the same though. Therefore, if you are planning to use your phone it doesn't make sense.

Hey Max,

Great tip :smt027 . Thanks.

The emoticons are cute!

The shopping areas in Elmhurst are on Broadway and on Queens Blvd.

Broadway has all the mom and pop stores, restaurants and Chinese supermarkets. Queens Blvd has the chain stores and malls.

Jimmy

Elmhurst is a nice area, convenient for commute, shopping, grocery....and the rent is quite reasonable. I've been living there for about 2 years since I landed NYC.

Andy said:
It seems all the cool kids live in Queens so that's where I'm going to relocate next :smt102
Bayside, Woodside, Forest Hills,Little Neck, Douglaston, Kew Gardens, Astoria, here I come..
Now just need to figure out where to move to and how to afford it and I'm all set :smt034
Welcome to the club, Andy!!! (Soon we'll be able to build our AMF student headquarters in Queens.)
Housing prices in Queens are generally good, right? You left one area out -- I heard that "Sunnyside" is pretty good as well. Keep us posted, Andy. :)

Hi all,

I would bring up this topic as the last comment was posted since 2006. The cost of living might have changed quite a lot.
I am willing to share a bed-room with other friend.I will cook for myself. Below are my projection of monthly cost of living in NY, which covers most basic needs:

Housing: $ 600
Public transportation: $ 80
Food: $ 400
Cell phone: $ 30
Utilities (Gas, Electricity, Water...): $ 40
Internet: $ 30
Personal expenses: $ 20
-------------------------
Sum up: $ 1200

Do you think my budget for $ 1200 per month is feasible? Does it sound like a ridiculous budget for you? :)
By sharing a flat with a few people (e.g. 4 people sharing a 3-bedroom apartment), will that reduce cost of Utilities & Internet?

Is it still feasible now to find a $ 600 room including utilities, less than one hour commute to Greenwich Village in lower Manhattan?
I read from this thread, 2nd and 3rd post that, I need at least 40,000 USD to cover living cost of 1.5 years.Given that it was posted since 2006, I guess an equivalent figure of 2012 must be higher.

Could any current student with a similar spending habit (cook yourself, sharing a room etc..) share some current figures on your cost of living in New York? I am trying to figure out how much I should prepare before I come to New York.

In addition, at the same thread, Andy mentioned :
as an international student, you are allowed to work 20h/week during school time and 40h/w during breaks (summer, winter break). You won't need any special paperwork to work on campus. You would need permission from the International Student Director if you work off campus (i.e if you can get an internship in the summer after your second semester).
After you graduate, you have 1 year OPT on your F-1 visa to find work and secure a H-1B visa. This is not that difficult considering the placement success in our program.

If I work part-time off campus, no more than 20 hour/week for a company, do I need a special permission from the US Immigration etc... or I just need permission from the International Student Director? Currently, my funding for both tuition fee + living cost is shortage. I am thinking of working part-time in my current company, NY office. If I don't have to seek for troublesome permissions, it's time for me to start asking around my NY colleagues.

Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate that.

Housing: $ 600
Public transportation: $ 80
Food: $ 400
Cell phone: $ 30
Utilities (Gas, Electricity, Water...): $ 40
Internet: $ 30
Personal expenses: $ 20
-------------------------
Sum up: $ 1200

housing:
echo what ken said. you might be able to find something that cheap, but, trust me, the last thing you want to do after working so hard in class is come home to a leaking closet filled with cockroaches.

public transportation:
not sure what bus passes go for. monthly metrocards are around 108 bucks, i think. monthly nj transit cards depend on where you're coming from, but i've seen numbers as high as 250 a month. metro north is the same way. not sure about lirr. path cards are 65 a month, last i checked. so 80 per month may be light.

food:
that seems reasonable. you could probably even do less if you don't eat out much at all.

cell phone:
you can get a basic phone for that. if you want a fancier phone (iphone, android, etc.), prepare to spend around 80 to 90 a month.

utilities:
if you're cooking, your gas bill will be higher. if you use the heat or a/c, your electricity/gas bill will go up. if you stay in an older, run down place, you're looking at a higher number as it'll be less efficient. that said, if you're dividing by three or four people, your number might be reasonable.

internet:
30-40 sounds about right. if you're sharing with roommates, it will be less.

personal expenses:
20 probably won't cut it. you will need school supplies, clothes, etc. if your computer breaks, you'll need to replace it. maybe you'll need to buy software. a rule of thumb that i used for grad school was that housing = all other expenses (transportation, food, utilities, personal expenses, etc.). so if you're spending 1k on housing, you'll probably want to (realistically) have 1k on hand for everything else. you may spend less than this, but that will allow you to make a big purchase (a good suit for interviews) the following month.

For people interested in finding roomates in the NYC area, here is a good list as most people on the list are incoming students of local programs, not drug dealers.
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/quantnet-nyc-roommate-list.9210/

My feeling is that you severely underestimate the cost of living in NYC. Unplanned activities (beers at bar, weekend movies, networking events) will increase your cost a lot. It's a lot more stressful to have to think about spending limit every week/month.
As a FT student, my advice is to focus 100% your time and energy on the study, interview prep and networking. It will help your career a whole lot more than the little money that you make from working PT which will surely affect your performance on the course.
Besides, you won't get permission to work off campus on your first semester. And second semester will be time to secure a summer internship.

Thank Andy Nguyen and mfegrad very much for your informative sharing. I now know that I underestimated the cost of living in NYC. I guess that a decent monthly living cost in NYC should be around $ 2000? I agree with Andy that thinking about spending limit will be a burden on top of a heavy workload. I totally agree that the amount of money from a part-time job might not worth it at all.

I am still keen on finding more info on the work permit policies for full-time international students if they want to work off-campus in US. I am considering all possible options to see how I am going to fund the cost. There is no harm to check out various options, value them before make final decision.

It would be great if anyone could share info on work permit policies for international students.

Back