• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Internship before MFE: Data Mining in a Fintech Company? High-Frequency Trading in a Futures Company?

Internship before MFE, which one to choose?

• Data Mining Internship in a Fintech Company

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • High-Frequency Trading Internship in a Futures Company

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Dear all,

I will go for Master of Financial Engineering Degree at UC Berkeley in 2021 Spring, and I intend to find one internship to enhance my hands-on experiences in the second half of 2020. I am struggling between two opportunities and I appreciate your suggestions.

My Background and Goals:
Major in Applied Mathematics.
Familiar with Python, C++, SAS, Java.
Aim to get into investment bank/buy-side as a quant, but only have a little knowledge of what they are doing.

Internship Choices:
<1> Data Mining Internship in a Fintech company: The task is to help build machine learning algorithms for banks to facilitate their decision-making process. Need to use Python / SAS. I have always had a passion for machine learning.
<2> High-Frequency Trading internship in a Futures company: The task is to help build high-frequency trading strategies. I have no experience in futures trading so it seems I could learn a lot. I could also open my trading account and play around with it.

Which one do you believe can help me better prepare for the MFE degree and give me a higher chance to get into top banks/buy-side?

Any information provided would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back