• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Internship Opportunity

Hey,

So I recently got an offer from a small company that sells specialty data to quant funds. They say 90% of their clients are quant funds and business is growing. I was told that I was their best candidate and so was extended an offer. I am not the best candidate compared to the caliber of students in my classes. My biggest advantage is that I am an American citizen.

The strange thing is that, they are offering me 60K on an annualized basis, as an exempt employee. Not bad if this is an internship. I have some money saved up from working for a few years, so that is not a huge concern of mine (I can survive for 2.5 years reasonably). I can graduate this December, or extend it through taking useful courses by graduating in May or December of 2014 next year. However, the downside is, if they were to extend a full-time position to me, they would only pay a fixed salary.

Fixed salary means (at least this was what I was told by the interviewer) that they don't pay overtime, but just a fixed amount. This was what worried me, because they said as a full-time employee, there will be occasions that I would have to stay up late, such as 4 am to possibly present to a client the next morning at 8 am. This probably will happen quite frequently, as I only heard of 4 people working on the sales team and business is growing.

As an exempt employee, they would pay me by the hour without benefits up to 40 hours a week. If I work more than 40, then I won't get paid. I would not be required to work during class time and my course load is lighter. This arrangement holds until December. I like the opportunity to do research and interact with clients. However, I would not like to work here full time, although they said that I can expect to make the market rate. (not thrilled with the idea of fixed salary with unpaid overtime where overtime will be a frequent occurrence). I am also concerned that if I take this position, it might adversely impact future compensation, in the sense that it seems kind of high for an internship, but low for a full time position. Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

Back