• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is Finance/ HF right for me?

Hey,

I really, really would appreciate your advice if you happen to come across my comment, thank you so much in advance. I am very curious, analytical and I have good problem solving skills. I have great communication skills and interpersonal skills and i think i have the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas. I love to talk to people and i like to work both independently and within a team. I want to deal with complex issues. My former coworkers, teachers and my family and friends have confirmed my strengths and weaknesses.

Is a career in Banking or at a (Quant-) HF right for me? What job at a HF or in Finance would suit me? Should I pursue an quant research career? Do you think Quant-Funds are still a good long-term-career?

It depends on your academic background but if you want to be a quant, you have to come from a highly mathematical background. Those skills will not matter unless you meet the maths prerequisites.

It depends on your academic background but if you want to be a quant, you have to come from a highly mathematical background. Those skills will not matter unless you meet the maths prerequisites.

Hi, I’m a math major, economics minor at a top school. I am looking for a job that suits me. I want to deal with complex issues and i would like to talk to people.

If you're a math major from top school with economics minor I do not think you will have any problem with going in the industry. I would suggest you to get some work experience and then do MFE in the top schools such as Princeton or Baruch.

If you're a math major from top school with economics minor I do not think you will have any problem with going in the industry. I would suggest you to get some work experience and then do MFE in the top schools such as Princeton or Baruch.

Thank you.
What job at a HF or in Finance would suit me? Should I pursue an quant research career? Do you think Quant-Funds are still a good long-term-career?

Back