• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is it wrong or overly ambitious to aim for a top job way down my career ?

Hey guys , I am (25yo) currently working in IT as data scientist in a average company . I did my bachelor's from a no name school and would like to pursue master's in CS from a decent university that fits my profile right and the tuition isn't that high . Would you say that if I pull the right strings and work hard I would be able to get into quant engineer roles at Hudson River Trading , Two Sigma , and not be sidelined because of my education (college prestige) or age .

Yes, it is possible to achieve your goals. With hard work and dedication, you can get the required skills and knowledge to secure a role in big firms such as Hudson River Trading and Two Sigma. Even if you come from a no-name school or are older than the average age of candidates, you can still have a strong chance of getting a job if you have the required qualifications and experience. Look for Master's degree programs that offer the necessary coursework, prepare for the selection process, and ensure that your resume reflects your relevant skills. Good luck!
I agree, but I would add this: good luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
Put yourself in a position to be lucky.

Hey guys , I am (25yo) currently working in IT as data scientist in a average company . I did my bachelor's from a no name school and would like to pursue master's in CS from a decent university that fits my profile right and the tuition isn't that high . Would you say that if I pull the right strings and work hard I would be able to get into quant engineer roles at Hudson River Trading , Two Sigma , and not be sidelined because of my education (college prestige) or age .
Probably not, but who knows. Honestly, how are we supposed to give you any insight on that? If we say no, would that stop you from trying? Go to linkedin and see if your profile is competitive with the current employees. That is probably going to be your best judge of how you compare.

If you want to make the transition, do it. If you are curious about the journey, find someone on linkedin who did the exact transition you want to do and see if they have a minute to give you some info.

Why are you aiming high for you career but not your education? Why not target top master's programs to raise your own "prestige"?

Also, anything is possible. Most things are not probable.

Back