• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is Master the new Bachelor degree?

I went to a school that has had near 0% grade inflation since its inception: Reed College. Check it out. I worked my ass off only to graduate with < 3.0 GPA and ever since then I've realized that other people who graduated around the same time as me and received Sigma Cum, actually learned very little. GPA is no indication of what you learned, only how easy the profs were on you.

Same right here at Université de Montréal. We work our a** off.

I had a summer class at Concordia University and it is ALOT easier.

Even If I don't finish with a 3.9/4.0 GPA, I can say that I learned one thing at UdeM: how to work/study hard.

When he said "UK is ahead of the US", the first thing that pops up on my mind is "phone hacking". Unsure if he meant that.

Andy Nguyen ::

Naw, what I meant was that the UK as a society has had time to figure out their place in the world now that the attention of the world isn't solely focused on them. The UK still has problems of course, but the society is developed enough to figure out solutions without the world's negative attention.

Ummm...I can't tell if you're being serious or not...

Serious. I don't think the US would need to engage in offshore Wars if it weren't on the front-burner of the world's attention, do you? I don't think the Cold War has really died off, it's just changed shape. If the US took a world position like the UK, they could still maintain a large say in world politics without dealing with all the negative PR and save on their B/S

Sorry taking this thread waaaay off track...

I still think you can do well with a bachelors, but if two pretty equal candidates apply and one has a masters, it is pretty natural to go for the more educated person for the same price. If you look at the statistics of education in the US there still isn't a lot of people with bachelors, let alone masters degrees. Maybe in the future this will be an issue, but right now it is nascent.

As for colleges moving away from the pure education theme, I tend to disagree. Colleges used to be only for the rich or elite. Those individuals are not interested in making money, but in pure education. Once you have people going to college to advance in life you need to teach them a skill. Philosophy is wonderful, but it isn't an in demand career. Some people can seek knowledge and some just need to be practical. Either way the internet makes the quest for knowledge incredibly easy.

Back