• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is Quant GRE score of 165 acceptable by top universities for selection?

Hi, I have a GRE quant score of 165 and verbal 159. I see that most people applying to top universities have scores of 170. I thought if the application is good, 165 is not that bad as a score. But now it seems that it really is a bad score. Can anybody please help in sorting this dilemma.

Hi, I have a GRE quant score of 165 and verbal 159. I see that most people applying to top universities have scores of 170. I thought if the application is good, 165 is not that bad as a score. But now it seems that it really is a bad score. Can anybody please help in sorting this dilemma.
I know people who have got into schools with 166 gre. It’s not the end of the world. You have to sell yourself well and you will do good

I know people who have got into schools with 166 gre. It’s not the end of the world. You have to sell yourself well and you will do good
Thanks for your response. I am usually seeing people with higher quant scores getting admits or interview invites.

165 quant's a pretty big handicap, there's no sugarcoating it

Sure, it's very possible to get into a good program with that score, but it'd be much easier with a 169 or 170

I'm in a similar boat. My Quant and AWA are fine (169 and 4.0). But my Verbal score is low - 150. The rest of my application was fine, so I went ahead with this score. Would this slip up really hurt my application?

# of students might be an important variable. With that low of a GRE, you’ll lower the average too much for a place w 25 students, but that score wouldn’t move the average for a program w 100 srydebts.

I'm always curious as to why the difference between 165 and 170, 3.5 and 3.8, etc matters to employers. Is it a signal for attention to detail/conscientiousness?

Back