• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Isolating my Interest for MS

Hello guys,
My name's Yaman and am a B.tech CS student from New Delhi,India.

The thing is i am deeply interested in Finance.I love math but i am not looking for a math intensive course that Financial Engineering has to offer.

My interest in CS has declined and am more interested in Management related stuff,especially finance.I want to do some Finance related course only form the US but not exactly Fin Engg.
So,my question is,are there any good universities that offers MS Finance that is not so much math intensive as FE?
I have seen some but not many universities that do.Ultimately,considering my interest for finance,am i better of choosing MS Finance or a MBA in Finance.
I am not inclined towards the MBA becuase i do not want to work first after graduation and then go for my post grad but at the same time i am quite skeptical regarding any MS finance course in which I might get accepted.
And is it possible for me to opt for more Management related kind of finance courses rather than the math intensive ones if i go for FE?IF it is,it will make my choice much easier.Considering the flexible curriculum that universities nowadays offer,i am hoping it is!

I recently started researching about MIS recently and to further exacerbate my problem,I found that pretty interesting as well.Considering many universities that offer this program i was wondering may be if i could take up this course and take up finance as an additional course,if its possible.

I recently gave my GRE and got 328 (168Q(97%) 160V(83%)),so thats one step in the right direction i guess.

Thanks in advance to all.

You're right, top MBA programs will be difficult to get into without any work experience.

So,my question is,are there any good universities that offers MS Finance that is not so much math intensive as FE?

The degree in finance that is "Not so much intensive as FE" would be the MS/MA Finance degrees (MFin). http://lmgtfy.com/?q=masters in finance However there are differences between programs in terms of curriculum.

And is it possible for me to opt for more Management related kind of finance courses rather than the math intensive ones if i go for FE?

Many FE programs allow you to take management courses in the business school, but in the end the core courses will have a lot of programming and math and that will be the focus. So if you want to study only management courses, you probably want to do an MBA instead.

I recently started researching about MIS recently and to further exacerbate my problem,I found that pretty interesting as well.Considering many universities that offer this program i was wondering may be if i could take up this course and take up finance as an additional course,if its possible.
MIS is meant more for pure IT roles. You can work in the financial industry with an MIS but it will likely be in a technology group. Personally, I'd favor an MS CS over MIS.

Master of Finance seems right for you, you could also think about getting a Master in Business / Management at a Business School that is focussing on Finance (pretty sure Frankfurt School of Finance has a program like that..and they have a special recruiting service for India I thin; and I guess a few other business schools in Switzerland offer similar programs).
Hope you can find something you will like!

Check out the MSF at Washington St. Louis. You can do a traditional MSF and then add on Quant finance classes. I believe you can even do a dual degree. Seems like a great middle ground for you since you like math and have the skills for an MFE, but don't have the heart to do ONLY a MFE.

Anthony DeAngelis You got it dead right.
Thats exactly what i'd like to do.But are there any other universities which offer the same program?
I need to have some options at my disposal.
After my Post-grad,I want to get into Investment Banking.Do you think this will be the right way to go about it?
If not,what do you reckon?

You could look at Boston College. They have a well regarded MSF program and a newly started quant type MSF. It is during the day so you could maybe do a dual degree. You'd have to talk to Joshua Henry at BC to see if this is doable.

Maybe Purdue as they have a traditional MSF and MFE program. Same for Illinois. Mind you if you want to just do an MSF and add on some MFE classes you'd have to talk to admissions and see if they will allow that flexibility.

As for Banking, if that is your goal focus on BC and WUSTL. They have recruiting, alumni and placements.

Okay.Thank you so much for that.

Just one last thing : Considering my background,the fact that i am currently studying Computer Sci as an undergrad,do you think i have shot at getting into the universities you just mentioned considering an absoulte shift of domain fro me?

If not,Can you pls suggest something to help me make my profile better?(I ask too many questions,i know :rolleyes: )
And if you don't mind me asking,(just curious,nothing else) What kind of education have you had?

P.S : The picture with Warren Buffet looks great :D

Anthony DeAngelis
I am just a bit skeptical about the MS finance degree.I mean,are people offered jobs in Inv Banks after the degree.i know it depends on the kind of courses one takes up but lets just assume that the person has taken all the courses pertinent to getting a job in an Inv Bank.
Basically,I want to know what are the major kind of profiles that get into IB.Is a MBA more suited towards it or does a MS finance degree applies just as well?Also,What kind of jobs are available for a MS finance grad in the US?

I just want to evaluate my chances of getting into IB if i choose to do an MS in finance.
So,could you please assist me with that?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: For anyone else reading this,Please feel free to give your inputs.

IMO, the MSF is best for domestic kids. If you are international I would advise casting a wide net when it comes to applying for jobs. MFE programs tend to be good for quant heavy international because (IMHO) math and engineering skills are weak in the USA and MFE jobs tend to be more forgiving for the ESL crowd.

MSF degrees place into commercial banking, investment banking, F500 corporate finance/treasury, Big 4 valuation, government jobs in the Dept of Treasury, FDIC, etc. It places into financial consulting also. Very wide, all while requiring essentially basic math skills.

Anthony DeAngelis Well then, MSF sounds like the perfect option to me.Like i mentioned earlier,MFE is just not my cup of tea since it involves extensive programming and i'd rather avoid that.
Considering that i am an international student looking to get into Inv Banking, MSF fulfills that quite well,dont you think?

Mind if i mail you sometime later in case i have any specific queries?

Thanks a ton!!

Yeah sure, shoot me a message. Investment banking is hard to get into, keep that in mind. You might want to look at the Washington University - St. Louis program as it is more quant focused while still remaining a traditional MSF.

Back