• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

ito's lemma help

Hello everyone:
I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask.I'm reading some quant math books and get confused with Ito's Lemma.
dF =dF/dX*dX +1/2*(d^2 F)/dX^2*dX^2;(dX ~N(0,dt^2)),,, this part is straightforward.
The book told me dX^2 is defined by dX^2= dt as dt goes to 0?
How to prove this property?

Some books believe that using handwaving arguments talking about "dX^2= dt" instead of simply introducing quadratic variation is somehow helpful. I believe that these books are misguided.

What you're trying to prove is that [W](t) = t. Forget about raising differentials to a power, that's simply an informal notation to express the same thing (in other words, it won't guide you to the answer).

See:
Other relevant links (passing-by-reference to avoid repetition):
http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=94565#672165

Just suppose you have a time grid:
t1-t0, t2-t1, t3-t2, ..., tn-tn-1 (tn=T)
you want to generate a random motion W on it:
W1-0, W2-W1, W3-W2, ..., Wn-Wn-1 (Wn=W)
and you want the incremental W's to have the same independent distribution with expectation 0 and variance s*s
So you get the total variance of them, or the variance of W, as n*s*s, fix it as s(T)*s(T)=T

Now you can let n gets larger, the tim grid finer, but the variance of W the same.
Under this assumption,
If you do the sum of quadratic variation of incremental W's
you get
(W1-0)^2 + (W2-W1)^2 + (W3-W2)^2 +...+ (Wn-Wn-1)^2 ~ s(T)*s(T)
and the sum gets more stable as n gets larger
meaning dW*dW ~ dt=T/n

Back