• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Job or MFE out of undergrad if you want to be a quant...

Okay, I'm just wondering...if I want to get to a quant position, should I try and land the regular 2-year analyst position at Goldman Sachs/JPMorgan/Lehman Brothers/other large financial institution or take the full $50,000 brunt of debt on myself?

In the current economy, one of my mom's friends said that when the economy was in a downturn, to stay in school and come out when the economy turns good...but I'm also wondering where I would get the money to do so, and how much does having an MFE from a not-so-top-tier school affect my chances?

Right now, after 6 undergrad semesters, my cumulative GPA in info systems engineering from Lehigh University is 3.23, which isn't particularly amazing, with my major GPA being in the 3.4s somewhere.

I have one year left of undergrad studying. If I want to find a position that I'm hired for my engineering skills and applying them and operations research techniques regularly at my job, what should be the route I take?

What kind of employers pay for an MFE and by what point? Right now, I am very unsure of what to do. Any suggestions?

Personally, I'd rather land a job first and let my employer cover part (or all) of my tuition. There are a few reasons for this. First, a good employer will cover 60-80% of your graduate tuition, meaning you would owe $10k-$20k instead of $50k (plus interest, assuming you get student loans). And since you're working, spreading $10k-$20k over 2-3 years isn't too bad.

Second, I believe people with some job-related finance experience will have a better understanding of the "big picture" when they enter a graduate program.

Third, after working for a year or so you may find that finance is completely boring and you want to move into a more interesting field. Or you realize you don't like working 100 hour weeks at Goldman Sachs.

Finally, having some real-world job experience will probably improve your chances of getting into a decent program.

Of course, given the current state of the job market, this may not be an option.

Back