• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Just finished the online C++ course, here's some tips for fellow coursemates

@Christopher lee
If you have no prior programming experience, you should expect to spend 20 hours per week for the course. Some levels are easier than others.
I put up a list of the number of homework, video clips on each level so you can have a better sense and can plan accordingly.
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/faq-c-for-financial-engineering-online-course.7376/#post-90019

Some people completed the whole course in 60 days or less. Some took the whole 16-week. It's more of a sticking to a schedule part that will be the most important.

@APalley @Andy Nguyen @Justine Morgan

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could give me perspective and help my pacing.

I only have 73 days days left, and I'm only done with Section 1.8.

Should I almost start panicking now? How difficult will it be to finish the rest of the course in 73 days? What level of pacing should I expect from here in order to succeed? I didn't have much difficulty with sections 1.1-1.8, but I have been having difficulty pacing myself.

Thank you.

Regards,

Thomas

@APalley @Andy Nguyen @Justine Morgan

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could give me perspective and help my pacing.

I only have 73 days days left, and I'm only done with Section 1.8.

Should I almost start panicking now? How difficult will it be to finish the rest of the course in 73 days? What level of pacing should I expect from here in order to succeed? I didn't have much difficulty with sections 1.1-1.8, but I have been having difficulty pacing myself.

Thank you.

Regards,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

No, don't start panicking! You can still do it!! There have been a lot of people on here who have gotten through the course in this amount of time (or less)

I would say just try to create yourself a schedule and stick to it. So you have 7 levels left. If I were to create a schedule for how to get through the course in the next 10 weeks, I would say:

Levels 3/4/5 - 1 week each
Level 6 - 2 weeks
Levels 7/8 - 1 week each
Level 9 - 3 weeks

I was a beginner when I took this course, but managed to get through the levels in approximately the amount of time I have listed here (while being busy with other stuff), so don't worry! You'll be able to complete it!! :)

Back