• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

KDB/Q..Career Advice

Kittu

UCB-MFE-2012
Hi,

So I am currently interning at this Bank where I get to learn KDb/Q, in a market making role. At one of the recent popular career fairs, I was told by one of the headhunters that this skill set is quite in demand out there. He genuinely sounded excited and gave me a couple of tips on how to go about building on it.

I do not know why, but I get a feeling that this field is like a technologist role and not really something which can lead up to being an Algo trader/Quant trader. I hardly know about this technology and it will be great if someone can share his/her experience about the career options with such a skill set.

Thanks

I suspect Yike Lu may have some experience on this.
As well is Todd Fahey who wrote an article about the technical skills for the up and coming financial engineers in our QuantNet Guide. Check it out.
I have a view that many quantitative analyst and technologist roles will converge so I embrace that trend. I'm sure plenty of people coming into this degree thinking they will work with pencil and paper on the next money-printing algo/model but it's naive.
It comes down to doing a lot of messy work, mucking with database, writing code. I suspect learning KDB database and its Q programming language would be advantage to you since KDB is not freely accessible due to its cost.

I actually used kdb as a research quant; I don't use it anymore (changed jobs) and constantly find myself wishing I still used it.

When it comes to algo trading, there are specializations, but you need both quant and technology skills to succeed. It IS true though that job listings that say kdb on them (especially as requirements) are more technologist roles.

yes well many years since for me (I worked in k version 1) but kdb/q is ideal as an investigative tool and for rapid deployment from prototype, both of which will hold in good stead beyond a technology role (in my case transition out to internal risk consulting); these are different times but the facility with kdb/q is less likely to lead into the tech ghetto than other such proficiencies.

glad to hear it's in demand as it opens another avenue for my return.

Back