• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Late 30s, trying to break into finance. Update on my job search...

Well, I did hear back from Citi for a Quantitative Trading and Analysis summer internship but completely failed the phone interview because I was not ready for technical questions (thought it would only be behavioral/fit questions for the phone interview). But FYI for anyone interested the questions were all from probability, statistics, and algorithms.

Well, I did hear back from Citi for a Quantitative Trading and Analysis summer internship but completely failed the phone interview because I was not ready for technical questions (thought it would only be behavioral/fit questions for the phone interview). But FYI for anyone interested the questions were all from probability, statistics, and algorithms.

Not to be too blunt. I appreciate you are updating us and I am not without sympathy. But you've been told time and time again that to do the "impossible" you got to be working a lot harder to educate yourself. When you say "FYI for anyone interested", I chuckled. Because pretty much anyone here interested know that questions will be from probability, statistics, algorithms etc. In fact, there are some very well-known technical interview books for Wall Street. They pretty much spell it out, what you need to know for those interviews. There's even free advice on the Internet by Mark Joshi about the whole quant interview process. It should have been clear that they'd primarily be grilling you on technical questions. "Fit" and such is usually reserved for people who have shown they have the basic skills.

You didn't look into any of that, but you picked up the phone for this interview anyway. Man, I really had hope for you.

Back