• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

LaTex question

I am trying to learn LaTex. I have a question. I want to display summation, so I do:

C++:
\begin{equation}
  \sum_{k=1}^n k^2
\end{equation}

But it doesn't work, while i think it should. I am getting this:
2ujpm61.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

I am using Led 0.526501 with MiKTeX 2.9

Suggestions for better Tex editor?

hmm... it doesn't work. i guess there could be something wrong with the miktex...

For TeX related stuff, you're probably much better if you could use tools under Linux. Still, you may wish to try TeX Live - I know MiKTeX was first choise of TeX user under Windows for long time, but TeX Live has reputation of the most vibrant TeX distribution nowadays.

I am trying to learn LaTex. I have a question. I want to display summation, so I do:

C++:
\begin{equation}
  \sum_{k=1}^n k^2
\end{equation}

But it doesn't work, while i think it should. I am getting this:
2ujpm61.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

I am using Led 0.526501 with MiKTeX 2.9

I use WinEdt. It's a very reliable Tex editor. Never had any problem with it. I think it costs $20 for student.

LyX is a free TeX editor that lets you structure your document the way you want it and then generates the code for you. Might be good for learning..

I suggest WinEdt. I've tried different Tex editors but this is by far the best I've encountered.

In Windows, the best setup (my opinion) is MikTex + TeXnicCenter!

TeXnicCenter is a really nice editor!

Yes, I had that combo back in 2006 and it has served me well. I believe many members here use it as well.

Back