• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Learning the Finance part before pursuing Financial Engineering

Hello,

I am a senior in BS (Hons.) Math (plus minor in CS) program. I wish to pursue MFE/MQF. As of now I have appropriate knowledge about mathematical elements involved in these programs. However I feel that I severely lack proper information about the finance side of such courses and career.

I do know about financial products (Bonds, Stocks, Derivatives) and few pricing models (again, it is more mathematical than finance) but I don't have proper information on Hedge Funds, Prop Trading, etc. I strongly feel that before committing to pursue MFE/MQF, I should be very well aware of financial markets and products.

Thus, I request you to guide me on how to acquire knowledge on these topics (and any topic of finance which should be known to a MFE/MQF aspirant). Please recommend any type of instruction: books, MOOCS, YT videos etc.

Apart from that I request you to list down a brief syllabus/curriculum consisting of all the topics of finance one needs to know before applying to MFE/MQF schools and deciding on the career path of Quantitative Finance.

Thanks and Regards.

Try "The Bond and Money Markets" by Moorad Choudhry, published by Butterworh-Heinemann.
Thanks. I went through it. However, can you mention a list of finance topics which are necessary for an MFE/MQF aspirant?

Last edited:
Back