• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Less math than the typical candidate

Im curious if anyone has applied/currently enrolled/graduated from either the Columbia/ NYU Math Fin programs with less math background than the typical candidate?

I'll leave 'less math background' open ended for others with similar inquiries, but personally I graduated from a target school with a degree in economics. I have 3 years work exp in liquidity risk mgmt for a large bank. My work is fairly quantitative (numbers, data, programming), but light on math complexity. My group is not responsible for developing algorithms or statistical models. How have people without the typical bs/ms/phd in math or engineering found their experiences? Did you wish you took a few math courses before applying? If so which ones would have helped the most?

Ill also note that I am looking to do this part time, and stay at my job, although there is the option I'd eventually want to try a new group.

Can't speak for Columbia but I can give you some idea about the NYU MathFin admission process. Part-time admission is certainly less competitive than for full-time with the caveat that career support is exclusive for the FT students.
You still need to meet the usual requirement of the calculus series (1-3), linear algebra, cal-based probability. Stats, ODE, PDE, stochastic will help but it isn't the case for you here.

The ideal PT applicants would be those who already working on Wall Street in relevant quant roles that will bring their experience and contribute to the classroom and to the FT cohort who is made up of mostly fresh graduates from oversea.

Back