Letter of Recommendation for Master's Application

Hi everybody,

I want to apply to a "Quantitative Finance" master and have a question regarding the letter of recommendation:

I need to send 2 letters of recommendation:

1) Is it better to send 2 letters from profs who have taught me in math subjects?

2) Or should i send only 1 letter about a math class and another one about something different? I also have a rec from an well known Management Prof., and i think the letter is pretty positive. I just think the coursework he mentions might not be directly related to the Master`s programme.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I want to apply to a "Quantitative Finance" master in continental europe, and have a question regarding the letter of recommendation:

I need to send 2 letters of recommendation:

1) Is it better to send 2 letters from profs who have taught me in math subjects?

2) Or should i send only 1 letter about a math class and another one about something different? I also have a rec from an well known Management Prof., and i think the letter is pretty positive. I just think the coursework he mentions might not be directly related to the Master`s programme.
Try to get math professors to give you recommendation letters. If you can only get 1 math prof, the other is preferable to be from a quantitative course's prof. I mean, the admissions committee wanna assure your quantitative skills for such a program. Won't mean that other recommendation letters (ie from management prof) are worthless, but the more quantitative the better.

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your advice, i really appreciate it!

I have one more question: I often read that it is favourable to contact the program director
in advance before your application (he might remember you...)

Is this really true, has anyone success with this strategy? Cause I think I would be quite annoyed if there are several students who try to ask me something useful just for the sake of it....

BR

Thank you very much for your advice, i really appreciate it!

I have one more question: I often read that it is favourable to contact the program director
in advance before your application (he might remember you...)

Is this really true, has anyone success with this strategy? Cause I think I would be quite annoyed if there are several students who try to ask me something useful just for the sake of it....

You shouldn't deliberately contact the program director just so he remembers you. If you actually have questions, then send an email.

That being said, it's definitively good to have questions because it shows interest in the program.

Back