• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Letter of Recommendation

Hi everyone,

So basically throughout my four years of college I never built up a relationship with any of my professors except for one, so I need one more letter of recommendation. As a math major wanting to apply to an MFE program would it be okay to ask a professor I had in one of my lower division courses such as differential equations for a letter of rec?. As far as I know, the rule of thumb is that when you're applying to grad school you always want to ask professors you had for upper division courses.

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

So basically throughout my four years of college I never built up a relationship with any of my professors except for one, so I need one more letter of recommendation. As a math major wanting to apply to an MFE program would it be okay to ask a professor I had in one of my lower division courses such as differential equations for a letter of rec?. As far as I know, the rule of thumb is that when you're applying to grad school you always want to ask professors you had for upper division courses.

Thank you.
upper division, and a good grade in. Pref an A.

you could definitely ask your differential equations professor if he knows you well

Hard cutoff?
Probability question. All about risk. If you go to a prof where the course was too easy, assuming he isn't the chair of the dept or something, it won't be too helpful. If you go to the prof for a harder/upper division course but you got a B or whatever so so grade, what is he exactly giving you a recommendation on? It wasn't your performance in that course! Some of these things are more about relationships though so if they know you over several courses or you did a project with the prof or something of that nature, it's a totally different animal.

I wanted to know your Opinion @Paul Lopez
I also have only one letter of recommendation from a professor(Stats Department) under whom I have been working for the past eight months and will be working under him for more eight months. We are working on some risk management problem.
I also face the problem of finding other 2 LOR. Also, since I am from an engineering background, I have two courses(industrial engg., Quality control) with some stats/Probability In them. I got a decent grade in both(A, A)
So should I ask them for LOR, but they don't know me well as it was 6-7 months ago, and if 2 out of 3 of my LOR are from professors under whom I have done only courses, will that put me in a disadvantaged position??

And yeah @MikeLawrence , I would also appreciate your comments :) :)

I wanted to know your Opinion @Paul Lopez
I also have only one letter of recommendation from a professor(Stats Department) under whom I have been working for the past eight months and will be working under him for more eight months. We are working on some risk management problem.
I also face the problem of finding other 2 LOR. Also, since I am from an engineering background, I have two courses(industrial engg., Quality control) with some stats/Probability In them. I got a decent grade in both(A, A)
So should I ask them for LOR, but they don't know me well as it was 6-7 months ago, and if 2 out of 3 of my LOR are from professors under whom I have done only courses, will that put me in a disadvantaged position??
The Stats prof sounds perfect. As for the other two, I don't know how to judge engineering courses. Paul has a point in that it is better if the course was challenging - but if these professors know you well for other reasons (in addition to the course), or if they are the best you've got, then you should go with them. I don't think you should be at a disadvantage if two of your recommendations are from academia. Many (if not most) of us are coming from undergrad for these programs, professors make sense. You definitely need at least one in industry though.

Back