• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Living in NY

sak

I have been digging on the internet to know about the areas which are not so safe to live from a students perspective. I have found tonnes of information but these reviews are at least 2-3 years old. I was wondering if people can recommend good areas to live in and the areas to avoid as well.

I have read that areas to avoid are: Crown Heights, Flatbush, Canarsie, Bedstuy, Rockaway. Any opinion?

I will be attending NYU so I plan on living in Brooklyn or NJ side.

Neighborhoodscout.com does an analysis of the safest neighborhoods in Brooklyn, NY based on percentage crime rates. Here are the Top Ten safest neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

1) 23rd st / Ave J
2) Narrows Ave / 79th st
3) Bedford Ave / Avenue L
4) 7th St / Avenue J
5) 9th st / Avenue S
6) 59th st / 19th Avenue
7) Colonial road / 79th st
8) Manhattan Beach
9) 27th st / Avenue N
10) Falmouth St / hampton

Flatbush is a huge area in Brooklyn and has a population well over 100,000, maybe 200K. It does not make sense to avoid it . You should not give up on Manhattan. The East Village and the Lower East Side are close to NYU, (closer than some of their dorms), and you can get a good deal with a little shopping. Check out www.lohorealty.com

Please check this website

I ran into this website through one of the posting in the housing section:

Explore New York City - NabeWise

Apparently it is based on vote by members and has catch phrases like "crime", "cheap", etc. associated with various neighborhood.

live in Hoboken or Pavonia/Newport. It is just 10 minutes from NYU

Thanks for the great info guys.

I have considered living in NJ but unless I find a place close to PATH station, commute would be painful. I hate the idea of taking bus and light train just to get to the PATH station. On the Brooklyn side the commute is easier due to better transportation infrastructure. Is my hunch right about this?

Also, since the classes at NYU are all at 7 PM, I will be travelling towards Manhattan when people are moving out of Manhattan. Does that make rush hour lighter for me? I used to live in DC/VA area and this was quite true there.

I've lived in Brooklyn ever since moving to NYC in the late 90's, and for much of that time I was a reverse-commuter (teaching or taking evening classes at various times) and can say it is very practical and easy and, yes, is less stressful than moving with the rush-hour flow. And, although I can't speak to what it's like to live in NJ, my commute to work when I lived in Fort Greene was a half hour door to door to get here to the Financial District. It took me less time to get here than it did those of my colleagues who live in Manhattan.

As for your question about neighborhoods...names don't really suffice. Real estate agents manipulate them pretty heavily at the fringes anyway, and to know what you're getting in Brooklyn, you pretty much have to go there and get a feel for the place. I live in Flatbush now in a really interesting, diverse, beautiful area; other parts of Flatbush are among some of the worst parts of the city. And of course it changes--so there were places I wouldn't have gone after dark 7 or 8 years ago that now are great places with affordable rents and new restaurants, bars, shops, etc. springing up all over the place.

The funny thing is that the places you list as ones to avoid--or Flatbush, Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, at least, all three of which I know to some degree--are some of the first places I would look if I were going to be a student in NYC. Obviously you need to get a feel for the particular places, but my experience of Brooklyn is that its supposed dangers are 99.8% a pose. It helps keep prices down--and, not coincidentally, Manhattanites away.

Back