• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Local vol - MC - algorithm

I'm trying to implement MC-simulation with local vol in Matlab and my algorithm is (assume one simulation)

S(tn+1) = S(tn) + r*deltaT*S(tn) + LV(K,tn)*S(tn)*sqrt(deltaT)*N(0,1)

where

tn = time
deltaT = time interval
K = strike

The LV-function is a matrix consisting of local volatilities for each pair of strike/maturity combination. I get that if I am at time tn I can look in my LV-matrix and find the local vol corresponding to that maturity but the problem is that for each tn I also have a lot of different local volatilities in my LV-matrix (one for each strike price). So which one do I choose

You're running a simulation for a particular option it seems, hence it would make sense to use the strike of the option, K, to get your LV.

You're running a simulation for a particular option it seems, hence it would make sense to use the strike of the option, K, to get your LV.

Not exactly.

This is how I have done:

1. Gather data, 100 option prices (same underlying) with 10 strikes and 10 maturities. Hence 100 implicit volatilities.
2. For each pair (K,T) I determine a corresponding local volatility. Hence I have a matrix 10x10 with local volatilities that a function of strke and time.

Now I want to simulate the Spot price process before determining the price of the option. I don't get which local volatility I am supposed to use when simulating the spot prices.

Back