• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Looking for Career Advice

I have recently graduated from a Mathematics degree in a top university in Ireland. I have landed a graduate job as a consultant at a professional services firm in the quantitative risk team starting later in the year.

In the next few years I plan to potentially do a masters at a top UK university in order to break into quantitative finance in London. I think I'd mainly be aiming for quantitative analyst roles at the big investment banks and hedge funds. I'm not too interested in HFT at the moment as I think I'm a slightly slower thinker and prefer complex problems that take a while. I'm looking for the mix between academia and real world problems while being able to use my technical/mathematical skills still.

The team I am joining does model development (IRB, IFRS9, Stress Testing, CECL etc), climate risk and valuations (derivatives, fixed incomes, options, swaps etc) as well as validation. I understand it's not directly related to the jobs I'm aiming for. I am trying to find what kind of experience I should be seeking in this job that will best align with my future goals in mind. Should I try to focus on building my network, maybe try ask to be involved with London based clients etc?

I would imagine that with a maths degree then Oxford, Imperial, Warwick might be good choices. In any case, it's a start.

edit: C++ and Python are useful skills.

Last edited:
I would that with a maths degree then Oxford, Imperial, Warwick might be good choices. In any case, it's a start.

edit: C++ and Python are useful skills.
Thanks for your reply. Oxford/Imperial are definitely on my radar for maybe 1-2 years time after getting some experience. When I start in my upcoming job do you thinks I'm best trying to get as much experience in derivatives, fixed income etc valuations as I can? It's often hard to understand what experience the BB banks and HFs value most. Their job postings in London for quant analyst positions seem quite vague.

Back