• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MAFN Columbia University vs MFE Columbia University vs MFE Tandon NYU with 8k scholarship

MAFN Columbia University vs MFE Columbia University vs NYU Tandon MFE with 8k scholarship

• Total voters
Hi everyone, I received 2 good offers and 1 waiting-list located in NYC.

I am still on the waiting list of MFE CU and was told to wait for the final decision until the middle of June, and just two days ago I received an offer from Tandon with an 8k-per-year scholarship. Since I really have no clue how well is the MFE program at Tandon, so I am hoping to receive some practical advice here.

Specifically, I am hoping someone could please inform me of the questions below.

1) how much better is the career services at Tandon than Columbia? I assume Tandon has better career services than Columbia given the current discussions here.

2) If I am not looking forward to babysitting-like career services, is there anything else you would say Tandon has done better than Columbia?

3) Generally, both rankings and discussions favor MFE than MAFN at CU. Why that is the case? I've heard someone said MFE is considered better because its successful graduates had made their name in the finance industry, so the reputation and networks are therefore stronger.

4) Personally, I think I have better programming skills and experience than most of the non-cs background candidates, so I am not too worried about the poor coding teaching at CU. If so, would you still suggest choosing MFE at Tandon than both MAFN and MFE at CU?

Sincere gratitude.

1) Small amount I should say, so I'll choose tandon over mafn, but not mfe
2) compared to mafn, tandon has more practical courses (like ML, DS) (Applied last year so things may change)
3) CU MFE is definitely better, not only in reputation, but also in bar of students, means "more valuable connection" in the future

1) Small amount I should say, so I'll choose tandon over mafn, but not mfe
2) compared to mafn, tandon has more practical courses (like ML, DS) (Applied last year so things may change)
3) CU MFE is definitely better, not only in reputation, but also in bar of students, means "more valuable connection" in the future

Thanks! Considering the bar of students, is there any difference between MAFN CU and MFE Tandon?

With regard to practical courses, I've read several threads mentioning the students of MAFN can also register practical courses offered by the engineering school, though the class size is limited.

May I ask how did you come across with these pieces of information? I would be more than appreciated if you could share more with me if you are a current student from any of the programs above.

Thanks! Considering the bar of students, is there any difference between MAFN CU and MFE Tandon?

With regard to practical courses, I've read several threads mentioning the students of MAFN can also register practical courses offered by the engineering school, though the class size is limited.

May I ask how did you come across with these pieces of information? I would be more than appreciated if you could share more with me if you are a current student from any of the programs above.

A current MFE student but in other program
I think Tandon is a little higher in 'bar', but not so sure
Those info is what i get 1 year ago and from current students, maybe have bias.

Back