• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Making An API Call Using cURL in C++

I am trying to use cURL to make an API call so I can start getting real time stock data, but I am running into difficulties getting it to function in VS 2017. I have attempted an install using vcpckg using the following steps:

1. Clone vpckg using gitbash into C:\Program Files (see Step1.png)
2. In a CMD prompt navigate to C:\Program Files\vcpkg
3. Run in the command prompt: .\bootstrap-vcpkg.bat
4. Run in the command prompt: vcpkg integrate install
5. Run in the command prompt: vcpkg install sdl2 curl

According to vcpkg documentation I should be able to now simply "#include <curl.h>", but it can't find the folder. If I try including the "include" directory from curl and "#include <curl/curl.h> I can build my project. But if I try and set the "curl_global_init(
CURL_GLOBAL_DEFAULT)" as in this example I get linker errors (see LinkerError.png).

Any suggestions on how to get this up and running? I think if I can get API access, I will be much closer to being able to build a real trading system.

Attachments

• Step1.png
    Step1.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 79
  • LinkerError.png
    LinkerError.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 78
I am trying to use cURL to make an API call so I can start getting real time stock data, but I am running into difficulties getting it to function in VS 2017. I have attempted an install using vcpckg using the following steps:

1. Clone vpckg using gitbash into C:\Program Files (see Step1.png)
2. In a CMD prompt navigate to C:\Program Files\vcpkg
3. Run in the command prompt: .\bootstrap-vcpkg.bat
4. Run in the command prompt: vcpkg integrate install
5. Run in the command prompt: vcpkg install sdl2 curl

According to vcpkg documentation I should be able to now simply "#include <curl.h>", but it can't find the folder. If I try including the "include" directory from curl and "#include <curl/curl.h> I can build my project. But if I try and set the "curl_global_init(
CURL_GLOBAL_DEFAULT)" as in this example I get linker errors (see LinkerError.png).

Any suggestions on how to get this up and running? I think if I can get API access, I will be much closer to being able to build a real trading system.
I see a similar issue was answered here, does this help?: Visual Studio 2015 curl will not statically link

@Andy Nguyen I checked out the thread and it seems like they have some options. I'll give them a try to see if they work. Otherwise I might try a more brute force solution (downloading to CSV or maybe calling Python from within my application). I'll update.

@APalley, I did give that a try and ended up with the same error. I did create a more detailed post about this question on stackoverflow here: Getting cURL to work with Visual Studios 2017. Hopefully someone thinks of something.

Good news everyone!

I got it working. Check the stackoverflow post I made here: link.

The next challenge was then to be able to get the response in a readable format, but following the getinmemory example from Curl's official documentation I was able to produce a string. I have attached a file HTTPRequest.h which contains the implementation. If you '#include HTTPRequest.h' you can call the function returnResponseAsString(string requestURL) which will return the response as a string. The function uses mostly C style syntax (malloc and realloc, though it also accepts a string as the parameter), but it works. Also note that I included the line:

curl_easy_setopt(curl_handle, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, FALSE);

This means that your request will not validate the certificate of the website and makes your request less secure. I did this because I couldn't figure out how to get the certificates to work.

Attachments

• HTTPRequest.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back