• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Markov chain problem

Suppose you throw a large number of coins to the floor, assume that these coins are fair, and don't overlap each other.
A robot move randomly in the floor, and pick up coins, if it sees head, it flips the coins to tail and put it back to the original position. If it sees tail, it flips the coin and put it back. After a really long time, you pick up a coin from the floor, what is the probability that it shows head?

The problem is symmetric in regards to heads vs tails, so it should be 1/2

(p_H = \frac{1}{3})

(p_T = \frac{2}{3})

It's the eigenvector of the transition matrix with eigenvalue 1.

the problem is not symmetric in heads and tails. heads are flipped over to tails, but for tails the coin is tossed and takes the outcome.

no it's not symmetric, if the coin is tail, the robot will flip the coin, and put back (head or tail).

bob's answer seems is correct, but I got a more simple solution:

let P(H)=A
P(T)=1-A
This is after a long time so P(H) and P(T) must be stable, that means if the robot continue to flipping coins, P(H) and P(T) will be unchanged, so if the robot picks up a coin, and flips it the probability of the flipped coin is head (F(H)) must be A or else P(H) and P(T) will be unstable.
So this is the math:

F(H)=(1-A)/2
F(H)=A
hence A=1/3
so P(H)=1/3
P(T)=2/3

no it's not symmetric, if the coin is tail, the robot will flip the coin, and put back (head or tail).

bob's answer seems is correct, but I got a more simple solution:

let P(H)=A
P(T)=1-A
This is after a long time so P(H) and P(T) must be stable, that means if the robot continue to flipping coins, P(H) and P(T) will be unchanged, so if the robot picks up a coin, and flips it the probability of the flipped coin is head (F(H)) must be A or else P(H) and P(T) will be unstable.
So this is the math:

F(H)=(1-A)/2
F(H)=A
hence A=1/3
so P(H)=1/3
P(T)=2/3

This is equivalent to what Bob did. An eigenvalue of 1 corresponds to "stability".

I'm guessing that koupparis was probably confused (as I was initially) by the dual uses of the word "flip". I think there's an simpler solution to this problem though: the only way to end with a head is for the previous state to be tails which then gets flipped and lands on heads. So (p_h = p_t/2).

Misread the problem, assumed flipped meant the same as flips it over :D So yes it's not symmetric and Bob's solution is correct. Write down the transition matrix and find the eigenvector corressponding to eigenvalue of 1.

Back