• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Maryland master of finance vs Cass Quant msc program (Financial Mathematics - London)

I was given an opportunity to go to either
1. Maryland master of finance - 11 month program
2. Cass Financial Mathematics msc (London) - 7 month program (orginally a year long program but I was given this offer as a dual degree program with the graduate school I am currently in)

I am biased towards Cass because (in order of importance from my point of view)

1) London itself - I am Korean, though I am fluent in English I don't really see getting a job in London is within my reach. I am hoping to land a position in Hong Kong or Singapore where many people to get degrees from the UK. (If I go to London, I will actively seek local internship positions)

2) The program is more quantitative - Among Cass graduates I have met, they gave me a rather negative review in terms of class quality. But still the program seems more quantitative and home alone studies does matter I think. I heard the faculty in Maryland is very competitive like prof Heston. But it just seems less quantitative and after all I was not given the option to pursue master of quantitative finance in Maryland (which they do offer as a separate degree)

3) It requires shorter time to finish - Cass is comparatively cheaper because of the staying period (though living costs are significantly more expensive). Others say 4 month difference is not that big of a deal. After all, 5.3 work experience may be no different from 5 year work experience.

4) I will write a thesis in Cass and not in Maryland. This, I think will give me more opportunity to interact with the professor which may possibly lead to more opportunities.

I have still not made my final decision yet because regardless of the lists I have mentioned, MFE degree in the US is stronger than one in UK.
Any kind of suggestions or ideas would be of great help! Thank you!

Financial Math > Finance. Cass seems like a better choice. The dual degree is a nice bonus. London is a great market. The types of courses + rigor, are more important than special professors.

Financial Math > Finance. Cass seems like a better choice. The dual degree is a nice bonus. London is a great market. The types of courses + rigor, are more important than special professors.
Maryland master of finance is also a dual degree program
Thank you for your opinion!

Back