• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Math & Stats undergraduate. No relevant internship experience. ShouldI still apply?

Hi, I'm a junior undergraduate double majoring in Mathematics & Statistics at UCSB. I'm planning to apply MFEs this fall however I'm concerned by the lack of internship experience. However, coursework wise, I have done alot.
From the Math side, I have taken Cal I,II,III, Linear Algebra & DIfferential Equations, Real Analysis I,II, PDEs.
From the Statistics, I have take a year sequence of Probability and Statistics, Regression Analysis, Time Series, Statistical Learning, Stochastic Processes and Bayesian Stats. My GPA is decent(3.85). Relevant to Finance, I have only taken Mathematical Finance and planning to take Stochastic Calculus(Graduate class) in fall which uses the book(Arbitrage theory in Cts time) by Bjork. Should I even bother applying to MFEs with no experience? Are there any MFE programs that prefer applicants with very rigorous Mathematical and Statistical background?
Note: I'm an "international student" in US.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a junior undergraduate double majoring in Mathematics & Statistics at UCLA. I'm planning to apply MFEs this fall however I'm concerned by the lack of internship experience. However, coursework wise, I have done alot.
From the Math side, I have taken Cal I,II,III, Linear Algebra & DIfferential Equations, Real Analysis I,II, PDEs.
From the Statistics, I have take a year sequence of Probability and Statistics, Regression Analysis, Time Series, Statistical Learning, Stochastic Processes and Bayesian Stats. My GPA is decent(3.85). Relevant to Finance, I have only taken Mathematical Finance and planning to take Stochastic Calculus(Graduate class) in fall which uses the book(Arbitrage theory in Cts time) by Bjork. Should I even bother applying to MFEs with no experience? Are there any MFE programs that prefer applicants with very rigorous Mathematical and Statistical background? Note: I'm an international student in US.
Look pretty good even without mfe. Only thing is you should’ve been applying in the fall not now. You should try applying to any large firms that are still hiring interns for this summer but definitely some missed opportunity by applying so late

Hi, I'm a junior undergraduate double majoring in Mathematics & Statistics at UCLA. I'm planning to apply MFEs this fall however I'm concerned by the lack of internship experience. However, coursework wise, I have done alot.
From the Statistics, I have take a year sequence of Probability and Statistics, Regression Analysis, Time Series, Statistical Learning, Stochastic Processes and Bayesian Stats. My GPA is decent(3.85). Relevant to Finance, I have only taken Mathematical Finance and planning to take Stochastic Calculus(Graduate class) in fall which uses the book(Arbitrage theory in Cts time) by Bjork. Should I even bother applying to MFEs with no experience? Are there any MFE programs that prefer applicants with very rigorous Mathematical and Statistical background? Note: I'm an international student in US.
Just to make sure, I'm graduating Spring 2021.

Oh ok I misread your question. Yes you missed chance for internship but you are a great applicant for mfe program. I would do some sort of project over the summer to strengthen your resume so that you have higher chance of getting into an mfe program

Back