• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Maths for buysides vs sellsides

Hi all, I hope I can get your opinion this topic.

I am an incoming Desk Quant at a hedge fund out of undergrad and wanted to know better about what math is expected across the field. According to the sentiment on this subreddit and several sites like this website:

Math topics for buy-side quants

• Linear algebra
  • Differential Calculus
  • Probability and Discrete Mathematics
  • Time-Series Analysis
  • Machine Learning
Math topics for sell-side quants

• Ordinary Differential Equations (ODE)
  • Partial Differential Equations (PDE)
  • Numerical Approximations of Definite Integrals
  • Montecarlo Simulations

Do you feel like this oversimplification makes sense in any way? Or it is usually a mix of the bunch.

If so, what tasks in sell-sides ask for ODE/PDE or Monte Carlo that isn't normally found in the buy-side? I am guessing something like derivative pricing but it hasn't been really a hot topic so I am very curious about the actual topics that you do (without going into detail).

Also, is it true that buy-side quants do not generally use stochastic calculus and other stuff listed above? What would be the heaviest topics that you employ day to day? I am coming right out of undergrad so I am unsure that I am mathematically mature enough for the long run.

Thank you.

Back