• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MBA or MFE or ?

If pursuing a career in finance, what are the best degrees to have?

I read these bios on Wikipedia of billionaire hedge fund managers who had undergrad degrees in engineering and then go to Finance with an MBA and end up working at like Barclays and then becoming a billionaire.

Are those stories still relevant?

What is the best overall option?

Depends on what kind of career in finance you want, but any single degree did not make the guys that become billionaires.

When choosing what degree to get you need to take into account what interests you because if you hate something, you probably won't excel at it.

If you wanted to you could probably find an example of a multi-millionaire or billionaire with just about any degree.

So what are your interests? What about finance do you like?

The quantitative nature and the fact paced work style.

I guess I should rephrase this. The MFE programs don't seem attractive for graduate studies.

If I do an undergrad at a public school, say Cal Berkeley, in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, serve in the Marines as an officer for a few years and then go to HBS for an MBA, would I be an attractive candidate for hedge funds/banks like Goldman?

The quantitative nature and the fact paced work style.
I guess I should rephrase this. The MFE programs don't seem attractive for graduate studies.

Sometimes the graduate students face the overlapping subjects in MFE, that's why you might consider MFE less attractive. But for more technical start MFE is a better choice.

Back