• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mental health and low gpa

I feel that I have no hope at this point. I'm attending a top 3 public university and had a 3.9 GPA. I also did mathematical research my first year; the paper my team and I worked on was published. However, I was undiagnosed with bipolar II during covid and my mental health deteriorated since I had no ideas what was going on. By the time I was diagnosed and treated, my GPA was done for. I'm finishing up summer classes and will be graduating with a 2.8 GPA.

I'm not sure how helpful my research will be to show that I am qualified. The program was very selective and nationally acclaimed, I don't know if that means anything.

In the case there is nothing to be done, what is another way to get into quant finance? I need to find a job ASAP and need to figure out what my next step is going to be if I can't get into the field now.

Don't list your GPA on your resume and explain your circumstances if they ask about it. Your school and research experience is definitely helpful. Just apply to quant finance roles and see how it goes. You could always try to apply for masters programs to pivot into another field.

I feel that I have no hope at this point. I'm attending a top 3 public university and had a 3.9 GPA. I also did mathematical research my first year; the paper my team and I worked on was published. However, I was undiagnosed with bipolar II during covid and my mental health deteriorated since I had no ideas what was going on. By the time I was diagnosed and treated, my GPA was done for. I'm finishing up summer classes and will be graduating with a 2.8 GPA.

I'm not sure how helpful my research will be to show that I am qualified. The program was very selective and nationally acclaimed, I don't know if that means anything.

In the case there is nothing to be done, what is another way to get into quant finance? I need to find a job ASAP and need to figure out what my next step is going to be if I can't get into the field now.
I love @weab 's positivity. I myself burned out twice during my undergrad (namely, I don't know how to stop myself and take too much on my plate). There is no lost hope, especially if you don't give up. Once you give up on yourself, there's no turning back. Keep it up, you'll figure it out! 🤝

Are you sure you want to even be in quant finance? I'm not quite sure it's the best field for mental health, even some really hardworking students burn out fairly quickly. There's a pretty strong correlation with how close you are to the money and stress.

Don't list your GPA on your resume and explain your circumstances if they ask about it. Your school and research experience is definitely helpful. Just apply to quant finance roles and see how it goes. You could always try to apply for masters programs to pivot into another field.
I thought they hiring managers don't even look at applications that get sorted out by algorithms. How would I make it far enough to be able to explain what happened?

I love @weab 's positivity. I myself burned out twice during my undergrad (namely, I don't know how to stop myself and take too much on my plate). There is no lost hope, especially if you don't give up. Once you give up on yourself, there's no turning back. Keep it up, you'll figure it out! 🤝
I really appreciate the positivity. Did burning yourself out affect your path to become a quant?

Are you sure you want to even be in quant finance? I'm not quite sure it's the best field for mental health, even some really hardworking students burn out fairly quickly. There's a pretty strong correlation with how close you are to the money and stress.
I'm doing much better now. I was under a lot of stress and pressure before my mental health unravelled, but I was very good at dealing with it. I like to work a lot and stay busy since there is nothing better to do anyway lol. My original mental health problem came from being undiagnosed, so it was my condition getting worse because of the lack of treatment. Also, covid and being alone for a year was just really bad for me. I feel back to normal and I've always loved quant work. Out of all the fields out there, mathematical finance is the only thing I can see myself working in.

I thought they hiring managers don't even look at applications that get sorted out by algorithms. How would I make it far enough to be able to explain what happened?
I have no idea if resumes without GPA are automatically filtered and rejected, but it doesn't matter. Suppose there is a filter that rejects resumes with no GPA/low GPA, you are rejected regardless of your choice to include GPA. But if resumes without GPA are not filtered out while ones with low GPA are, then putting your GPA will definitely get you rejected but not including your GPA may get you a first round interview where they would probably ask about your GPA.

I have no idea if resumes without GPA are automatically filtered and rejected, but it doesn't matter. Suppose there is a filter that rejects resumes with no GPA/low GPA, you are rejected regardless of your choice to include GPA. But if resumes without GPA are not filtered out while ones with low GPA are, then putting your GPA will definitely get you rejected but not including your GPA may get you a first round interview where they would probably ask about your GPA.
That's a good point. How receptive are hiring managers with explanations? Like I mentioned, I've done work with a lot of programming and heavy math in the past. Also, I majored in financial math and philosophy.

That's a good point. How receptive are hiring managers with explanations? Like I mentioned, I've done work with a lot of programming and heavy math in the past. Also, I majored in financial math and philosophy.
In your case, it’s definitely not impossible for some firms to look past your GPA. After that you have to pass interviews like everyone else. Keep in mind nothing is guaranteed and the industry is very competitive. Just apply and see what happens.

Mental health is a serious issue that I think we should discuss instead of sweeping it under the rug like most people in finance usually do.
If you ever value your well-being, having a serious look into the downside of finance industry is something I highly recommend.
But investment bankers, salespeople and traders are only human. Under the immense stress of their jobs, many suffer personal and emotional problems that escalate into full-blown crises, with some bankers developing conditions that linger long after they have left the industry.
Dr. Glazer, a psychiatrist, treats the Wall Street set for substance abuse and other mental illnesses. Demand for services like his has ballooned since the pandemic. Glazer recently added two therapists to his now six-member practice, which treats about 200 patients at a time.
Most are traders, fund managers, investment bankers and corporate lawyers. Almost all are men who are afraid to tell their employers about their ailments, much less ask for medical leaves.
“I’ve seen a lot of people who are high functioning in the upper levels of finance who are terrified of being exposed,” said Glazer, 56. “There’s a culture of paranoia. ‘Would you want someone to manage your money who’s an identified alcoholic?’”

Mental health is becoming an area of increasing concern for health officials, doctors and lawmakers. That hit home on Wall Street in February when Thomas H. Lee, a private-equity pioneer, died by suicide. Still, topics like depression, anxiety and addiction remain taboo at many financial firms, in part because portraying perfect stability is crucial to attracting and keeping clients.

Back