• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Low GPA

Hello,

I am currently a math major in a top school in the US; did math & physics competitions in high school and made training camps; Had working experience in FAANG in the past. However, I failed a class last semester and currently have a GPA below 3.0. I am extremely worried about how this would affect my future employment as a quant in a MM or hedge fund. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think many positions require a min overall GPA of 3.3-3.5. I don't know if they make exceptions while screening, but it would definitely impact your employment if your GPA stays below 3.0. The impact depends on whether this is a quant related course or irrelevant course. With that said, some companies look at your transcript while only look at your overall and major GPA.

Check with your university about how they handle course retakes. Some places will allow you to retake a course for GPA calculations (failed course may remain on your transcript but not be used to calculate your GPA). Alternatively, calculate how many courses with an A you'd need to improve your GPA.

Back