• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE MFE Baruch - for a buy side quant trader perspective / profile

Hello,

I'm a brazillian working in Brazil, I currently have an Economics BSc and a Applied Math BSc. In Economics I learned a lot of regression and time series analysis ("Econometrics") including state space modelling (Kalman Filter, Particle Filter etc...). In Applied Math I had normal calculus and algebra courses, simulation courses (MCMC), stochastic processes (Markov Chains, Poisson Process), numerical analysis (Including ODE, PDE and linear algebra). Plus I had linear and non-linear optimization course. In all these courses, I learned a lot of R, Matlab, Java and C.

I currently work in a non-quantitative fund in brazil as a fixed income analyst, but also do some fundamental long short with equities. (About two years of experience, including internship).
Would that be enough for a sucessful application @ Baruch?

What I would like to do is to get into a quantitative trading framework, using statistics for low to high frequency trading @ buy-side be it hedge funds or prop desks.

I read about some baruch students getting into trading competitions, did they do it with knowledge adquired during the course or with previous knowledge?

From a computational point of view, what I would like to learn more is large database management, connection with internet to send orders, library building and statistics using C++ [like greating a GUI for my trading or utilizing Excel with C++] etc... Would I get it with Baruch's MFE?

Are there plans in Baruch to offer more buy side oriented electives like Nyu's Algorithmic trading, energy trading and statistical arbitrage?

Thanks

We will offer 3-5 new electives beginning in the Fall 2010 semester, one in algorithmic trading/time series.

Back