• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE, MFC vs. MS in CS

Hey guys, I have been accepted to master in computer science program in Chicago area, Depaul and Loyola. However, I want to be a quant eventually and could not decide if I should apply for MSFM at U of Chicago. I want to be as quantitative as possible that is why I chose cs at the first place.

I am interested in working at a prop trading firm in Chicago or become a quant that relates to analyzing, modeling and programming at a bank eventually. What do you guys think?

I also had double majors in math and econ in undergrad so I had a pretty good background of math and some programming. What would be a better or more valuable experience for me?

If you haven't really tried, you wouldn't know if you must get a master degree to get the position of choice. You said you have "a pretty good background of math and some programming", so why not try to contact the prop shops on Chicago area and see if they have internship/entry-level jobs?
http://www.quantnet.com/quant-internships-graduate-recruitment-list-firms/

Back