• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE/MSCF VS MS-PhD in Statistics/CS/Finance (Background Info in thread)

Hi All,

I'm from India. I did an integrated MS in Software Engineering from VIT, India (9.34/10 gpa). My senior year project was in Machine Learning and Currency markets. Other than that I had few tech projects at College (building a version control system, a web development project for an e-tailer).

I worked at Paypal as a software developer for 2.5 years (Python, C++ and Java predominantly).

Last year, I left PayPal to explore finance and trading. Have been managing a family portfolio of INR 2 million (about $30k USD), in various instruments (spread over equity and debt) driven by a combination of fundamental and technically driven strategies. I have built a basic custom signal system infrastructure with backtesting using Python, combining fundamental and technical data for helping with the strategies (it's only ULFT).

I am planning to apply for Fall 2019 Masters programs in Quant Finance (CMU, Courant FM, Baruch MFE, UChicago MSFM, Cornell FE, . On the other hand, most recently, I am also pondering an MS in Stats converting it to a PhD once I am in the US. The reason for this is that I don't have research publications and it's hard to get a direct integrated PhD without research work.

My interest is to work in macroeconomic quant research. So far I have been researching on and preparing for a CF/FE masters only. The thought about MS-PhD in pure sciences/Finance came up only now. Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Lol. "Any advice on this would be very helpful" is probably not explicit enough, I agree. Implicit question is - "How do i approach this", but since you guys are very helpful and I did my own research, I have gotten my answers since then.

Back