• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE or MS in ML ?

Hello,

I am a third-year student at Ecole Polytechnique (the best institution in France for science/engineering), currently applying to US/UK graduate programs.

My current goal is to become a QR. However my only experience in quant finance is an academic research project I am currently pursuing (no internships), and thus I am afraid it could not be the right path for me.

Hence, I am torn between applying for Data/ML programs or MFE programs. By reading the forum, I think I understand that MFE programs are better for landing a job in quant finance. However, I feel like these programs are more specialized in finance and would make any future career change more challenging, whereas I could work in tech or basically anywhere with an MS in ML.

What would be your advice for me ?

Another important piece of information: I am in the final round for a top-tier HF summer internship. If I get it, I believe it would significantly strengthen my application for MFE programs, thus allowing me to be accepted to more prestigious universities. Is that true/relevant ?

Thank you in advance

I think the question you first need to answer is whether you want to become a quant or a machine learning engineer/data scientist. Once you answer that question, the answer to this one is clear.

I will say, I haven't met many people who have high praises for the market for data scientists in the past few years. So many people have gone into it, I've even met people from the Harvard MSDS who can't find a job. I also am not convinced that you need an entire masters degree to learn ML at the level at which you need it for a job in tech.

If you like your quant internship, don't be afraid to commit to a quant career path. I know it's scary, but specialization is a good thing once you know you want to specialize. By closing the door to becoming a MLE, you open a whole bunch that would be closed if you got a MS in ML, and vice versa.

Another important piece of information: I am in the final round for a top-tier HF summer internship. If I get it, I believe it would significantly strengthen my application for MFE programs, thus allowing me to be accepted to more prestigious universities. Is that true/relevant ?

There is almost no point to do a MFE if you land the 'top-tier HF summer internship' and get the return offer. It's like saying "I got into the NBA, does that significantly strengthen my application for a collegiate basketball program". Most students from even the best MFEs do not land a 'top-tier HF summer internship'

There is almost no point to do a MFE if you land the 'top-tier HF summer internship' and get the return offer. It's like saying "I got into the NBA, does that significantly strengthen my application for a collegiate basketball program". Most students from even the best MFEs do not land a 'top-tier HF summer internship'
Useful if you wanna work in US/UK though. Isn't that the reason why most of the MFEs are filled with international students.

Back