• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Prep for a Non-quant

Many threads asking "how do I get into x MFE program with x background". Usually the background is lacking mathematics and programming requirements to differing degrees so I'd like input on some standard questions:

- What does it take and what is a realistic timeline for a business, econ, or finance undergrad major to get into a decent MFE program? (not top tier, just any program)
- Do the CFA (all 3) help?
- Do the first couple actuarial exams help? ( Exam P, FM, maybe one more)

I'm assuming these undergrad degrees require calc 1 and maybe 1 programming course.

Know your competitors. There are plenty of decent programs around so you will likely get into one or two but it's a question marks if they will be a good investment.
Exams/certs have minimal ROI. I would rather have you spend those time sharping your programming, stats skills. Years ago, few programs would actually require their conditional admitted students to get the CFA level 1 so they know the ABCs of finance. Most of those guys are from technical background. A lot of people mistakenly believe that they need to get CFA L1, L2, etc to get admitted. That's wrong. Taking those exams without work experience and context would be a waste of time.

https://www.quantnet.com/threads/do’s-and-don’ts-of-mfe-applications.12664/

1) The total time it takes for you to complete all missing coursework. If you just have calc 1 and 1 programming course, you are missing calc 2-3, differential equations, linear algebra, calculus-based probability, and statistics at the minimum. One programming course is OK, but you will struggle a lot if you don't at least know the basics of one scripting language (like Python) and one compiled / "traditional" language (like C++ or Java). MFE programs move fast and assume basic knowledge.

2) Might help a little bit to show you can walk the walk

3) See #2.

Accepted participants from the MFE Programme at NTU are offered on-campus per-courses in Math, Finance and Programming. They are spread over a month (June) before the MFE programme begins in July each year. Read more on these pre-courses here
Preparatory Courses

Back