• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE profile review

• Thread starter Thread starter scanta
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone,
I am a rising senior in undergrad and am thinking about applying to a few MFE programs and I was wondering how competitive you think I would be? Thanks in advance for the responses.

College: A top US public university with ok Math and CS dept (usually ranked 50-70)

Major: I am a Applied Math and CS double major, with a 3.83 GPA (my major GPAs are only slightly higher)

Coursework: Calc 1-3 (A, A, A), Linear Algebra (A), Discrete Math (B), Deterministic Models (A-), Applied Prob & Stats (A), ODE (A), Quantum Computing (A-), Real Analysis (A-), Probability Theory (A), Financial Math (A), Stochastic Models (A-), Math Stats (A), Intro Programming (A), Data Structures (A-), Soft dev (A-), Algorithms (A-), Comp Org (A-), Theory of Programming Languages (A), Machine Learning (A), Edge Computing (A), Operating Systems (A)

I will be taking a course on option pricing next semester.
My GPA started out a bit lower 3.6, but I have done exceedingly well in my upper-level classes and am overall very happy (except for Discrete Math which I took freshman year).

Extracurriculars: I am a Division 1 athlete and represent my team in our Athletic Dept's student-athlete council.
I am curious to hear how you think my being a D1 athlete affects my resume, as a CS and Math double major and D1 athlete, I am pretty swamped so I think my extra-curriculars are weak

Intern Experience: 2 internships, 1 as a SWE for a FSI company and 1 in risk analytics at a Big 4

Projects: I have 5 projects, 1 is a relatively large mobile app that we added to and refactored for school, 2 are quant finance related smaller ML projects, 1 is a project on V2V communication, and the last is a ML project relating to Hidden Markov Models

I dont plan on taking the GRE

Schools: Chicago, GT, NC ST, Oxford, ICL, Illinois, Upenn (CS), Washington

PLs: Java, C, C++, Python

If you guys need anything else to make an informed opinion let me know
Thanks

You will have 0 problems getting into all of the American schools if you have good letters and essay. IDK anything about UK Programs or UPenn CS though. Best of luck!

It is unlikely that you will get into all of the American schools.

You have a great profile and it is possible you get into all of the schools, but you will almost certainly not get into all the schools you apply for. That said, top 3-4 should be your target.

Start learning numerical mathematics, you know, dense/sparse LA solvers, numerical differentiation/integration, interpolation. And bulk up on interview prep. Buy the green book, as well as Dr. Stefanica's pre-me books from fepress.org. Priority for the fepress books goes to Primer for the Mathematics of FE and the LA primer.

Back