MFE Straight from University

Hello, I am going to be beginning my MFE program this summer only two years after finishing my bachelor's degree. Since then I have only had 6 months of financial services internship experience and 1 year at a non-technical job.

Are there any graduates out there who did an MFE program directly out of college and with little or no work experience who would be willing to tell me about how this affected the recruiting process and job hunt for them? Any advice as to how I could improve my lot given my limited background would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

I think it depends on what you want to do after graduating. The people in my MSc Finance program that received job offers so far had done previous finance internships, while those of us without have been struggling.

So I think you will be able to get a job, but whether it is exactly what you want is another question.

thanks for the input connor.

Anyone else? 270 views and only one response. Is everybody here a veteran?

Coming straight out of undergrad to MFE means that a lot of the math will be fresh in your mind. Also, it can actually set you up with better opportunities once you graduate. I've interviewed with quant trading firms that buy into the tabula rasa view of talent since they have a lot of unique and prop tools. I'm coming straight out of undergrad myself and once wondered this as well but my worries have diminished. Check out the employment stats from Baruch. Grads with no relevant work experience earn almost the same amount.

Employment Statistics | Master of Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College

Back
Top Bottom