• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE suggestions for math undergraduate

Hi there!

I am in my last year of a applied math undergraduate degree, and I am just starting to seriously consider doing a MFE program. Here are my infos and I would really appreciate it if anyone would give me some suggestions. My trainings are mostly in math, to name a few, calculus, linear algebra, real/complex/matrix/Fourier/numerical/functional analysis, ODE, measure theory(probability), combinatorics. I have some basic training in stats and programming(1 course for each), I use python, matlab and R. My GPA is 4.3/4.5 in a Canadian university, plus, I have a publishable paper from the summer. For the GRE, I got 145 for v, and 170 for q, and really bad on writing(I am not a native English speaker and I went with almost no prep...).

I am wondering if I have good/any chance of getting into some of the top programs? (I have looked at NYU MFE, waterloo MQF, and U of Toronto MMF, please recommend more!! ). Also, should I do GRE again? (I decided not to go to the states for master when my mind was in academia so I didn't retake GRE) if not, are there any good alternative programs? I heard people saying data science, or computational math, or operational research... Thank you so much for reading this, any advice will be appreciated:)

Maths look pretty well-balanced (nice to see functional analysis in there as well). PDE?
How's your programming skills?

Maths look pretty well-balanced (nice to see functional analysis in there as well). PDE?
How's your programming skills?
Thanks for the comment Daniel. I haven't taken PDE yet, but that's part of my requirement, which I will take in the winter term(so before the application season for many programs). My programming knowledge is very limited I would say, the only chance I got to practice my programming skill was for my research over the summer, just few lines codes to create adjacency matrix for graphs and to do some testing... But I am very open to learn more about programming, either by myself or by taking courses.
Do you have any idea what kind of program would be a good idea for me?

Back